W12cy003

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had the chance to listen to this new driver yet?

Seas W12CY003 (.PDF)

I've been looking for a good midrange driver to cover the 200hz-3k range or so, and for a good while the M15CH001 or its newer cousin was in my mind. But the W12CY003 is looking really good and has better xmax parameters. Check out the 30 degree off axis response, too, follows the on-axis to about 4k within 2,5dB. No nasty resonances in this nextel coated paper cone. I think it would be a killer midrange driver.

How would I like to use it?

MTM with possibly the Morel MDT33 tweeter or something else nice within about ~91dB sensitivity. Since these are physically small drivers I understand that they could be crossed higher in MTM when aligned close to the tweeter..?

Passive x-over between mid-tweeter, natural roll-off in a sealed box, QTC=0.707 which means about 2.8 litres in space.. Then crossed actively to a sub module.

First time in forum...Bad english,bad english

But your question:I am.And yes-it is a good driver for 150-3kHz region.I dont know about MTM but i using 2-way method about 2liters closed box crossed about 2,5kHZ.Above that SEAS T29AF001 would work fine.

I started my project only few days a go,but i must say that no turning back in magnesiumcone drivers

Have you ever considered why they sound as they sound? :)

I agree on the sensitivity and overall design subject. This present development is a shame. More excursion and deeper bass from small drivers. This runs sensitivity lower, magnets are huge and so on. I'd prefer using proper driver in proper range before trying to overcome laws of physics. It also sounds better with larger units and higher sensitivity which makes a lot of sense...

Happy building.

Jussi

Have you ever considered why they sound as they sound?
Jep!
More excursion and deeper bass from small drivers. This runs sensitivity lower, magnets are huge and so on. I'd prefer using proper driver in proper range before trying to overcome laws of physics. It also sounds better with larger units and higher sensitivity which makes a lot of sense...
I also noticed your design principals and thats your deal.Mine is nearfield monitor type speaker,listening distance about 1-2meters(i assume 1,5meters) and below midrange area W22 takes the rest of the bassregion.:D

Happy building
Thanks!Happy building for you too;)

Reilumeininki said:
below midrange area W22 takes the rest of the bassregion

Hey, that's pretty much what I'd like to do. :) I haven't quite decided yet if I should go from lowest bass to ~300Hz (or whereever I want to cross over) with a single or dual driver or should I add a midbass driver and a "real" bass..

As to the discussion about the mag cone vs. paper cone - I'm looking for non mag cone driver that has no break-ups & resonances and that would have a revealing, merciless and spacious midrange. Since I'd like to cross it a wee bit higher (3k-4k) or so as I said) mag cones seem to be ruled out here, I'd like to keep the resonances at least two octaves away from the x-over point.

I also put them in the reflex loaded box.Same size, 2 liters, tuned about 65Hz(also tried tuning between 60-70Hz)offers best perfomance to my ears.In reflex loaded situation W12nextel is more efficient in the 85-250Hz area than normally is.I believe the sensitivity in this region is about 84dB based on seas datasheet and my friends measurement.

300Hz lowpass sounds pretty good.
When crossed w12nextel my opinion is that 2,5-3,5kHz offers propably the best solution.Noticed that at 4kHz side responses (60degree)collapses.

D´Appolito configuration is also intresting method to construct 90db sensitive nearfield monitor

Yep, this thing is looking good, I think I'm going to give it a try.

I think I'll do it first in TM since there happens to be a nice looking design by Tony Gee: HATT-SE.

To me (much of a newbie in speaker building but experienced in electronics), it looks like the driver should be pretty much a drop-in replacement in the cross-over of the HATT-SE. The zobel network needs to be taken out (it seems to attenuate at 1k4 to tame the rising response of the magnesium W12) and the tweeter doesn't need as much attenuation either. I'd like to raise the x-over point too..

Your eyes dont lie.It fit nicely because both W12NEXT and W12Mag have same chassis.One note:The magnet(w12NEXT)is surrounded by somekind of rubbercup, but it can remove easily.With rubbecup,driver cutout is about 100mm,without 96mm.

If you have a measurement equipments it is not hard to take some samples if HATT-SE x-over works baseplan.If you want higher x-over point i must say that values of inductors and condensators could change dramatically or just a little.

I dont remember my x-over values because its under construction and varies all the time but different between Hatt-se and me is size.My project frontplate is 13x21cm so it would affect a little.

Careful with the crossover from Hatt-Se.
Comparing to the Mag cone, response curve is a bit different with higher sensitivity, so I would not use the same crossover.
Also, since there is no breakups and the response curve is way better, I would clearly go for a simpler crossover.

F

Did this ever result in a finished speaker?
In my situation,yes.Here's couple of low resolution pictures.

ResizeWizard-1copy.jpg

W12T29AF.jpg

Yes,that is the original aluminium faceplate but machined.I ordered two of them more when i orderd those tweeters because i want two original faceplates and two machined.And it came much more cheapier after all than doing new ones joint of aluminiumbar and machinery.
Those pictures are from prototypes,so that design is not look quite the same as today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.