amplifier power rating for Proac 2.5 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would work just fine IMO. Speaker power handling does not, IMO, have any direct relation to the power output of the amplifier. Where you would run into problems, various kinds, is when your amplifier can not drive your speakers to the level you want it to, that is to little power, and thus is overdriven into clipping. That is bad and also most likely the most common way of destroying a speaker rather than feeding it to much power (talking home use here). Even if your amplifier was 10 times more powerful than really needed it would not be a problem but may be a waste. I myself would not be tempted to use all that power any way since the speaker would sound really bad before the amp would be flat out.

My advice: Use it and enjoy it. Use is wisely...

/UrSv

PS. I used an Acurus A250 (about 400 W into 6 Ohms) with my Snell EIII and never felt any guilt about it but rather enjoyed it quite a bit. Never had any problems either...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.