Car and Home Speaker Conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a possible way to convert or have a makeshift converter somewhere to convert car stereo speakers to work on a home theater reciever, i know the major issue is that car speakers are 4 ohms and most recievers (mine) is 8 ohms.
i dont even know where to begin so if someone can help out here that would be great, oh and im in the military so if you do explain it please keep it at an 8th grade learning level, lol!! thank alot for who ever will post after this!!

Almost any receiver can handle a 4ohm load, so no conversion necessary.

I actually use Kenwood KFC-6469s as speakers in my office, driven by a Sonic Impact T-Amp (tiny, $30 digital amp, in case you didn't know), and I have run them off the crappy old Pioneer VSX-411 receiver in the living room in the past.

Go nutz.

Kensai

I have used 8 ohm woofers in a car. Generally I think, domestic woofers are less sensitive and this can prove a problem in a car. I think the low Fs of a typical 8 ohm woofer would be better traded off for some other more important car attribute.

BTW, my car amp was cruising :) , but I wasn't :( .

I have seen a teenager blow two (different) 8 ohm rated amps using car speakers, so use an amp that says it can handle 4 ohms, or just listen at half volume :)

sdclc126 said:
Kensai -

How about the reverse? What happens if you take 8 ohm home speakers and put them into a 4 ohm car system? Is there actually less load on the amp in that configuration? Or?

If it's safe I'm going to redo my car system...:D

its completely safe, Since the amp sees double the impedence its output capability is about half. 2 8 ohm speakers in parrallel would give you 4ohms again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.