horn with low compression ratio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

As long as the horn +driver's response is flat enough or you're willing to use EQ, then a 1:1 CR is fine, but the bigger the throat, the bigger the mouth for a given BW, just look at old Altec, etc., truncated theater basshorns.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

'FLA'? This means 'full load amps' of a motor to me, so may not be enough for your app. If you're referring to its flare factor ('M' or 'T') though, then it depends on the driver's response and how much distortion is acceptable. If low distortion is required, then a long conical seems appropriate with a >75 deg included wall angle. Tractrix is popular, but a 55 Hz flare unloads around 78 Hz, so a ~39 Hz flare is required to load it to 55 Hz, with exponential being the 'middle road'.

GM

I intend Flare factor.
I run those numbers on hornresponse

Attachments

• hornresp2.jpg
    hornresp2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 199
Consider a Hyperbolic expansion horn? The benefit is that if you null the reactance with the back volume, you get a bit lower in freq response... iirc, down to the flare freq, or was that the mouth freq...?

Imho, I don't think you'd have much if any serious HF loss with the use of a compression "orifice" at the thoat... I presume ur only looking to get up into the lower midrange? I hope... carefully folded horns do ok up to 300Hz... fwiw. Think "scoops".

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.