ultimate budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
shipping

Shipping is the problem, I really need to buy the whole range from the same place. Thats the main prob.

Two of those 4" tangbands sharing the base would be nice, it just depends on how much it is to buy and then the shipping.
I'm no tech-head;) so I would'nt want to get too technical, and I don't have all the gear to do detailed work. But it would be nice to give something a go.

Tangband

Well they are very nice people but $200NZD to ship, thats madness.
I have just completed a little pair, with some parts pulled from a Sony mini system. These will have to do as I can't spend that sort of money just yet

:bawling:

But these are not too bad considering......

Attachments

• r0010664.jpg
    r0010664.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 375
Cheers

I used the dimensions from the FOSTEX site. The enclosure size was taken from the design for the FE127E Double Bass Reflex type.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/127e_enclrev.pdf

It looked close to what I had, so I thought "yeah, what the heck, that'll do"

I made it from 19mm MDF and then put Cork tiles around the outside, the finish is not perfect as the cork tiles are not that prefect but it all adds to look i surpose and I was just trying to keep the price down as these were never going to be my main speakers.
But they do sound quite good, although they don't seem to have that presence of my 'Image' speakers. But they are smaller and less poewerfull, they will go into me room to beconnected to my gainclone.

The tweeter on top was made from some pluimbing pipe that was by chance nearly the same size. I glued some perspex to the back and painted it. The audiofiles out there probably don't like that, but it works for me o.K......:D

2litre Inrank, or anyone else who is listening- I am a little late to the party, but thought you might be interested in these. They are vintage infinty speakers. I had been wanting to replace these drivers for a while. I was going to go with the Wr125s or FR125 but didn't want to shell out $300 pluss dollars.
I recently found some nice (Polk, I think) 5.25 drivers on ebay, that I installed last week, (no pictures) and I am very happy with the sound. The top and bottem cross over at 1500 and the center at 3000. Originaly all three were crossed at 125hz on the bottom end. When I replaced the drivers I removed the bottom end crossover and greatly improved the bass. Some day I would like to try the WR/FR 125, I bet they sound incredable. I love the OB sound and just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• scrap2.jpg
    scrap2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 273
Infinity Buff,

Those are pretty nice. I once tried a pair of 452i 4" (90Hz -20KHz)coax Infinity drivers in OB and they sounded pretty nice when helped out by a small sub. I was actually thinking about doing something similar to your speakers with some larger Infinity coaxes and corresponding sized woofer from a pair of seperates as a helper woofer per side before I embarked on my FR/RS venture.

What are the approximate dimensions of your speaker baffles?

R/

Jim

What are the approximate dimensions of your speaker baffles?

The speakers stand 50" and the baffle is 24". The bottom half of the speaker houses two ten inch woofers in sealed boxs. I replaced the top woofer with a Vifa and the lower with a Dayton Rs265hf. The dayton is connected to a Rythmic audio plate amp. The other speaker has one Vifa and one Infinity woofer. Eventualy I plan to repace the Infinity with a matching Vifa. This has been my first attempt at DIY and I have been thrilled with the results.
When I bought these Infinities about a year ago, I thought they were the best sounding speakers I had ever heard. I have been simply astounded by the improvements in sound I have gained by upgrading the drivers. Amazing! I have learned a lot from reading the posts here but I still have a ton to learn about xover's and speaker building in general.
PS. I also wanted to give a plug for the people at Rythmic. I had a problem with the first amp the sent and they took it back no questions asked and sent me another immediately. Excelent service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.