ultimate budget speaker - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2006, 04:37 PM   #101
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ok, so if i have the fr and wr facing foward in a 0.5 way, should i wire them in series or paralell with the inducter before the Wr? (my amp is a Primare A20 which is rated at 70W @ 8Ohms and 110W @4Ohms and can run speakers between 4 and 16 Ohms.)
Old 1st June 2006, 07:20 PM   #102
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Correct, they are wired in parallel with the inductor ahead of the WR. This rolls off the WR while letting the FR run full range.

Knowing only enought about amp loading to be considered dangerous, I'm under the impression that the amp only sees a drop from nominal 8 ohms when both drivers are playing the same frequencies. In my test case mentioned earlier my amp would have seen a nominal 4+ ohm load from 255Hz on down (parallel operation). Above that point the ohms move back up to the nominal 8 ohm load because the other FR (the one running full range) is the only one presenting a load to the amp.

R/
Old 3rd June 2006, 07:42 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

thanks, is there any way of rolling off the FR? or will it 'move less' with the WR as the 0.5?

just another crazy idea, (just an idea) could i say have a multiple of the WR rolled of in the bass, so say one FR and two, three or even four WR's for the bass, could this work, or it is just better to add an extremis or somthing?
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:12 PM   #104
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Inrank, my advice to you is to forget those complicated designs, they will only cost you

Ultimate Budget Speaker - that is only possible through compromise
Lets see - you have a nice FR125, and the compromise with that driver is its low sensitivity - so let that will be the main compromise

You have stated several times that you dont need lowend - I will say, on the contrary - lowend is precisely what you need, so lets consider a fully adjustable quality sub, that will enable you to enjoy the music much better at lower sound levels, where the FR125 is at its best

By doing so you have another option - and that is to implement a supertweeter instead - which could be the very nice, affordable and high quality Vifa XT19

With this you will have high quality ultimate speaker system - and only compromice will be its low sound pressure

Old 3rd June 2006, 10:19 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

i am pleased with your advice, but i already have a sub, though that is only a tempory solution, at the moment i am happy with the high freqency section part of the FR125S.

i dont need bass but i want somthing to help so that the fr125 is not stressed at higher levels. i am more than happy with my setup at the moment for lower level listening.

ultimatley i would like a floorstander that has a 'full range' with no need for a sub.
Old 4th June 2006, 12:44 AM   #106

A big capacitor i series with FR125 will make excursion less
Old 9th June 2006, 06:36 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

so could i not make a small array using the FR as a fullrange then some WR's as bass mids? (like 4 WR's each side with a FR)

(all in OB)

all this so i can have the all the FR's plus's (mid range and excursion) with louder SPL's from the added drivers all in OB so i can get a bigger sounding speaker with a larger soundstage.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:38 AM   #108

I think your persistence deserves some answer, and I think what you suggest - 4xWR and one FR might give some trouble with sensivity - that setup would work better with a tweeter instead of the FR125

What you can do is to have 6 x FR in a line array - but it is VERY IMPORTANT that you make a "curved" front baffle so that each driver has the same distance to your listening position
Old 14th June 2006, 02:20 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inrank
so could i not make a small array using the FR as a fullrange then some WR's as bass mids? (like 4 WR's each side with a FR)

(all in OB)
This is do-able if you go with an active crossover.
Old 18th June 2006, 12:47 AM   #110
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

inrank,

I got slowed down on building these over the last two weeks but here they are in my living room for listening. They're sitting on some car drying cloths with one under each FR panel too.

I was yakking with my neighbor as I was measuring and made a cutting error so the original plan was shot. So, I just daddo'd, glued and screwed them together. The dipole isn't equal either. It's 12" deep with the face of the main panel 4" in from the front, making it just deep enough in the front to protect the driver magnet bell should it get knocked over. I'm experimenting with the inductor values for the .5 FR. Currently it's at 5mH. Using a slightly larger inductor than called for sounds better to me. After this weekend I'll start the proper wiring job. Amps will just get walls to get them off the floor a bit and shield the circuits.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sound is much sweeter than the earlier wham-bam mock ups (should hope so!), mainly because there is now zero vibration noise from any panel when cranked. Even so I'm also going to look into using the drying cloths as panel damping in the rear of the dipoles and the back of the FR panels and thier wings.

I'm not sure what volume you listen at or your type of music but these definately go loud enough for me. Obviously different songs can be played much louder than others. My wife turned it down while reading her book and all I had to do was move the plate volume controls one tick enhance the bass. Loudness control "ON" didn't sound right. Albums sound too cool now!

What have you decided on?

R/

Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!