Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First project, will it work ?

Hey guys, Ive im about to pull the trigger on a set of FR125s, or kit41, what id like to know before I make the investment, Is will my plan work .

Id like to make the kits, with a beutifull cherry and walnut cabinet (my dads a carpenter/cabinetmaker so, hes gonna assist) with lots of nice parts, black chrome speaker spices, etc etc. Im wondering, If it would ok to run some powered subs as stands, same width as the kits but alot taller, probably side firing 10's with 150 watt amps crossed in 80-100hz.

Is this an ok idea ? I dont want extreme volumes, Just about as loud as my jvc mini system. or.. most HTIB. ? The look of the system is about as important as the sound lol.. i dunno why, but If it doesnt look good I wont be happy.

Any thoughts ?
Old 11th May 2006, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Something like this but with built-in amps?

HT3

Or this?

Myra

I like stereo bass units.
Old 11th May 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

exactly like that ! how do they sound anyways ?
Old 11th May 2006, 06:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tim,

Is the Myra your creation? If so, could you give us some details please.
A very handsome system BTW!

Jeff
Old 11th May 2006, 06:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robertburchell
exactly like that ! how do they sound anyways ?

I think they're great. It's nice not having to rely on a single monoaural subwoofer. The bass comes from where it should in the soundstage.
Relieving the WR125S of low bass duties frees it to show it's true strength which is it's excellent mid-range reproduction. Very natural sounding. I'm not sure where Al crossed his over at. Mine is around 250Hz.
Old 11th May 2006, 07:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vinylkid58
Tim,

Is the Myra your creation? If so, could you give us some details please.
A very handsome system BTW!

Jeff
Thank you. Yes, Myra is my design. It uses 2 Extremis 6.8 drivers in a somewhat TL type cabinet with bipole configuration. I originally wired the drivers in parallel but have since changed them to series. It's amazing how much bass they put out.
The upper portion uses the WR125S and a Hi-Vi planar in a sealed box with a 4th order XO. There is a high pass filter in the top of the bass cabinet so when the upper cab is connected the system behaves like a proper 3-way but can also be removed and played on it's own with a F3 of ~80Hz. I'm not sure of the practicality of that but it's kinda cool.
This is the speaker I was longing to build: Big sound, small footprint.
Old 11th May 2006, 09:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

How about going open baffle on the fr, and then add some bigger woofers as lowend support ?
Old 11th May 2006, 10:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sure. Why not? Dan Wiggins at Adire built a dipole using 4 FRs and some EQ. Sounded pretty darn good. Should be even better with some LF support.
Old 12th May 2006, 12:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

last question for you, how is the fr125 for volume ? i know everyone has different ideas of loud, but think it would be able to fill a room about 10x15 with a good volume, for watching movies, or listening to music ? of course, the bass from 100hz-ish down would be taken care of by a pair of stereo subs
Old 12th May 2006, 12:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

My HT room is 16W x 20D and it held it's own ok when rolled to my subs. In a 10x15 room it should be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!