How much deeper will these dig? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How much deeper will these dig?

I have four Dayton RS315HF subs I was going to use in my dipole Orion clone. I also own four Ascendant Audio Atlas 15s that I was about to sell. I got to thinking about maybe using the Atlas 15s instead of the Daytons in my dipoles to allow my dipole bass to extend even lower. My question is, how much lower would the increased Sd provide me? I'm guessing not much, maybe 5hz more extension at the same output level. One minus with using the Atlas subs is my speakers would be 3" wider, which would probably look kind of stupid.

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2006, 03:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, how about using the Daytons in the Orion clones, but keep the Atlases for stereo sealed subs below 40 hz, as Linkwitz does with the Thor subs? Or do you already have sealed subs, or simply aren't going to use any?

P.S. - curious - what are you using for mids & tweets? And are you doing active?
Old 11th May 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Late to work so quick reply.

Tops will have MTMs with Dayton RS180s and RS28 tweeters. Active crossover duties will be handled by my DCX2496.

I have an IB sub right now with four Adire Shivas (1500 ft3 room, so I can get away with it). I'm thinking the Dayton RS315s would be sufficient and would allow for the speakers to look nicer.

Work JUST called me I gotta run!
Old 12th May 2006, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well you have plenty of bottom end - keep the Daytons and sell the Atlases for sure. Your design sounds great - please share it with us as you build and definitely show us the end product.

I think there are a lot of ways to go OB and I've thought of using the 12" Peerless SLSs for the bass units - yeah not as much excursion but I don't know that I would ever push them that hard. Thought of doing a line array for the uppers - maybe with the Hi-Vi B3S + supertweets, or the SEAS L18 / 27TBFCG combo ala Zaph, maybe in an MTM.

Ah, so many possibilities, so little time - and money...
Old 12th May 2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How much deeper will these dig?

Quote:
Originally posted by mazeroth
I have four Dayton RS315HF subs I was going to use in my dipole Orion clone. I also own four Ascendant Audio Atlas 15s that I was about to sell. I got to thinking about maybe using the Atlas 15s instead of the Daytons in my dipoles to allow my dipole bass to extend even lower. My question is, how much lower would the increased Sd provide me? I'm guessing not much, maybe 5hz more extension at the same output level. One minus with using the Atlas subs is my speakers would be 3" wider, which would probably look kind of stupid.

Thanks!
Keep in mind the Atlas 15's have much more "air noise" than the RS315HF. I've used both. The Atlas is a nice driver, but it's free air motor noise is not very good at all and it really needs to be in a box. The RS315HF on the other hand is nearly silent at full Xmax and would be better suited to dipole.

I made these observations while breaking the drivers in. It was full Xmax, free air.
Old 15th May 2006, 01:35 AM   #6
Cyrus_s is offline Cyrus_s  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mazeroth
Late to work so quick reply.

Tops will have MTMs with Dayton RS180s and RS28 tweeters. Active crossover duties will be handled by my DCX2496.

I have an IB sub right now with four Adire Shivas (1500 ft3 room, so I can get away with it). I'm thinking the Dayton RS315s would be sufficient and would allow for the speakers to look nicer.

Work JUST called me I gotta run!

... Or redo the IB with Atlases, sell the Shiva's and do the original plan with the RS's.

Hide this!Advertise here!