Anyone try cloning Kharmas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are going to weigh a ton. Lot of work but I think they'll be worth it.

Attachments

• dscf00031.jpg
    dscf00031.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,266
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I never liked the look of Karma's. I imagine they sound pretty good though and that's what matters I guess.

I haven't seen any clones or anything similar. Why not try something unique or an improved variation?

Edit: Didn't realise you'd started building them, I guess you edited the picture attachment in after I posted the above. Looks good.

ShinOBIWAN said:
I never liked the look of Karma's. I imagine they sound pretty good though and that's what matters I guess.

I haven't seen any clones or anything similar. Why not try something unique or an improved variation?

Edit: Didn't realise you'd started building them, I guess you edited the picture attachment in after I posted the above. Looks good.

No problem. My last build was my own design ( pic below). It came out great but sometimes I get the clone bug ;/.

Attachments

• g0025.jpg
    g0025.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,175
kharma's ceramiques have always been my favorite looking speakers, never heard them though. I saw one person, forget who, that did a really good knock off of the smaller floorstander. Something that interests me.

Are you looking to clone the higher end version?

JoshK said:
kharma's ceramiques have always been my favorite looking speakers, never heard them though. I saw one person, forget who, that did a really good knock off of the smaller floorstander. Something that interests me.

Are you looking to clone the higher end version?

Never saw them either. Just heard of them recently and copied from pix.

http://www.kharma.com/downloads/hq_pictures.htm

I started out to copy the Exquisite Reference but now I'm closer to the Midi or Ceramique.

Well it looks like you are doing a great job. Keep us up on your progress.

Are you planning to do the thumbnail roundover that Kharma does? I was thinking of picking up one of two router bits I've seen that were perfect for the job. Either a giant thumbnail bit or a handrail bit I've seen would do the job (only with table router, would be unsafe with handheld).

Updated pic.

Leaning more towards the Ceraminique look now (no wood) even though I carved the frontbaffle grooves like an Exquisite. It'll end up being a combo of the two.

The base will be a challenge as I don't have 1" aluminum stock or a milling machine. I have made detachable feet like the Ceraminique out if 1 1/8" mdf but I like the idea of a 1 piece base like the Exquisite.

Attachments

• dscf0015small.jpg
    dscf0015small.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 675
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.