Help with Jensen LS-4B's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I need help.

I have a pair of 1975 Jensen LS-4B's. 3-way.

1 3 " horn tweeter
1 4" middy
12" woofer (replaced 10 yrs ago w/ ProSound 23)

No specs, I'm sorry I can't find them - too far back in prehistory for the web to cover. Nobody liked these speaks tho - too heavy - too harsh - dance club speaks...

Reputation for big thumpy crap. True enuff until I replaced the tweets with horns.

No surprise - I got them out of a dance club in Buffalo called Merlins three decades ago. They are 12"D x 13" 1/2W x 24" 1/2 H

1/2" MDF - no bracing and an adjustable crossover. Old school.

Used them with NAD equipment for thirty years - very satisfying.

Here's the problem. I love the tight controlled sound of the HiVi kind of speaker set but...

They don't provide the room FILLING sound of my bigger old Jensens.

Okay - the Jensens are big-n-messy, designed to be disco speaks - rib-shattering thump - real strident high-end. Overall, NASTY - however they produce an SPL that I have never heard replaced.

Not nice - but far better than the little tight bookshelf sound.

The Jensens wrap around the room and float you away. Not nice technical sound but wide and BIG...

Cant get that from tiny - no matter how nice the drivers - period.

What would you recommend for me in regards replaceing a set of matched drivers to this cabinet to produce an updated (tighter) sound but still maintain that 30 year old accurate bone shaking Peter Gabriel sound.

Pump the room up - make people dance - AND listen. Bice use of power.

I don't want a sterile'ish nice poppy tight-thin sound. I want these babys to rock the house but not leave me with a harsh buzz.

I'm driving them with an NAD C270 (soon to be replaced with a dual mono UCD180 setup).

Is there any sense in replacing the drivers or is this design terminal...

I also have a pair of EPI 100's that I love - have looked a HUMAN speakers upgrade. I love the old-school sound. Big and rich.

Is there any help for me or I am I such a terminal throwback that it is hopeless...

Well possible, given my proclivities..

You see, I have a philosophy degree...

LOL

I want to redesign these cabs so I can listen to either EELS Fresh Feeling or Solsbury Hill with equal BIGASS buzz...

I'm sooo not subtle.

Or, perhaps I'm simply lost... LOL

I needs big sound - but not messy ugly-date sound... Too old for that.

What I know is : I don't know exactly how to pursue this. It's a labor lof love, so I'll stick to it until I'm done.

The real deal is this : I'm gettin older - I'm 48. My ears suck. My years roadying for Deep Purple and Skynrd have taken their toll. I need big sound to make me happy.

Just about any class-d can make me happy by spec - but the speaks let me down every time.

These Jensens are BIG and FULL (but messy). Is there any way I can reproduce their best qualities while minimizing the stridency and over-thump or am I hosed?

Can I fix 'em????

Thanks,
Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.