Celestion Ditton 66 spares?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
I have a much-loved pair of Celestion 66s here - interestingly there is no mention anywhere on the speakers of the word 'Ditton', so presumably are an early model.

Question is, does anyone have any idea where I might get replacement tweeters for these units, as when fed white noise there is a noticable difference in the sound emitted from each speaker suggesting a problem somewhere - tweeter or crossover.

I would prefer the tweeters to be Celestion and a recommended replacement for this unit, known I think as the HF2000.

There is also a slight voice-coily rattle from one of the bass drivers when pushed to high excursions, although for normal listening this isn't a problem, so this can wait.

Any help in sourcing the correct drivers appreciated.
Andy.

Hi Andy , Celestion 66 - I do not know if there was a model preceeding their Ditton 66 , try emailing Celestion and asking - they seem proud of their history thus may respond . The HF2000 tweeter was once sold by Wilmslow Audio - years ago - I doubt they would have any stock remaining , but you could ask them what they recommend as replacement for Celestions - they'd likely have received many queries . They may rec. a SEAS tweeter , and several of the SEAS tweeters would work , but you will need to match the Impedance characteristics of the tweeter in the part of its bandwidth of the crossover region - at least 1 octave wide on each side of the crossover point , and then match or use resistors to get the sensitivity/efficiency the same as the original . Alternately , you could make a new high-pass section for the crossover to suit the new tweeter - you will have to do various measurements on :- the midrange ; a working old tweeter if possible ; and the replacement , to get this right . That is what I would do if the bass and mid drivers were still OK . ____ Alternately , somewhere there will be a pair of old Celestions for sale cheap which used the same tweeter as the 66 and now has only one tweeter working , so try advertising , eg: in Hi-Fi World's classifieds , and look in 2nd hand shops . ____ Another possibility is for you to contact Haden Boardman at Audio Classics - I think in Hindley , Wigan . He will know about Celestion 66 and its history and may even have a working HF2000 , or be able to recommend or sell you what he uses as replacement for . ____ Now , most important , before you put in any tweeter you must check the condition of the crossovers - preferably in both speakers . Replace any electrolytic capacitors and any of the old type of paper capacitors that may be in there with new plastic film capacitors - preferably polypropylene types at least for the treble sections . If the old caps in the bass sections are large capacitance value , then fitting plastic film types may take up greater space than is available , if so , then install new Bipolar electrolytics of a type suitable for loudspeakers . Wilmslow Audio will sell all the necessary capacitors . The Inductors will probably be OK - look to see that they have not come loose or broken from wire connections , and similarly for any resistors , and look to see if any resistors have signs of having been overheated . If resistors values have been burnt off in one crossover , well hopefully in the other crossover it will be legible ! ____ Yes , a lot of work , but if the bass and mid drivers are OK it will be worth it for Celestion 66 , and they will give clearer sound with new caps in the crossovers . ___ Post anything you come up with here as follow-up , best wishes , Alan .

Celestion Ditton Studio 66's

Hello,

I have had a pair of 66's built 1979 for many years now too.
Growing up with my family members being professional musicains....kinda of toned my ear for the good sound.....
I just got to say that i love the ditton 66's, i put spiked feet on the bottom and it was a possitive affect! Not to mention i was lucky to find NOS tweeter diaphrams! Had to replace them both as my mother thought she would use these one night as re-nforcement ouch!

Anyway i was thinking of upgrading the crossover components an need your more skilled advise......
I was thinking of just buying the whole board then assembling the components and wire? from say parts express or something, that way if it turned out to change that voice character of the speaker i could revert easly? Say do one at a time....

What do ya folks think? Will this really improve the speaker?

O and by the way, if you own a pair of these, do not sell them ;-).

Hi tonedef2 !
Now with a name such as you have applied to yourself, do you really expect to be able to hear the differences between types of components used in crossovers ? OK, perhaps it is simply differences of Pitch that you do not hear and you do hear differences of Timbre ...

More seriously, I recommend you try what I described in the second part of my reply to Andy, and yes, do assemble the new crossovers on boards of their own so that you can re-install the Celestion originals for audio comparison.

For the most transparency to really hear what the Celestion drivers are capable of use Polypropylene Film/Foil type capacitors -{Manufactures often designate such by KP}- rather than Metalized Film type -{ designated as MKP}. For large capacitance sizes use Black Gate brand Bi-polar capacitors - Bl.Gate do have a type specifically for cross-overs. You will not need to use high voltage rated capacitors - any rating from 100 volts minimum is sufficient.
For Series connected resistors use non-inductive types, though for Parallel connected resistors non-inductives may not be necessary. Use 10 watt or higher rated as lower power rated resistors can change resistance as they may heat up sufficiently to do that in some cross-over applications - particully if they are Metal Oxide types -{designated MO}. Wirewound types -{designated WW}-change very much less with temperature and voltage stresses than MOs.
For Inductors use Air-core types, and of the lowest DC resistance available - allowing for their larger physical size when such, and only use Iron-core inductors for the large Inductance values.

Look in several Mail-order companies catalogs as there are significant differences in DC resistance with different available wire-gauge inductors.

Let us know how you go, and ask more here if you wish.

Best wishes, Alan.

Yes I am hearing challenged, seams to filter the higher frequencies of my wife’s voice!

Thanks for the advice, I have noticed a slight-to-moderate edginess to the upper mid to high frequencies in my 66’s, crossovers have been bench tested and found to be functioning per design/values… as I was told. So I’m just not clear as to why they would have that cheap metal tweeter edge sound sometimes, design? Or design flaw? Or just really giving me monitor type feedback on source material… sounds like the former reasons to me.

I have finished an extensive restoration of the MD 500 dome mids, won’t go into detail sep to say it involved complete disassemble, custom jig, removal of all old glues & about 18hrs of labor, they have a strange 2 piece arrangement that will result in all the MD500’s buzzing and or low output. Results? I see why theses mids where popular in the studio! Beautiful voice repro now!

Anyway Thanks for your advise, you seem to be very technical, how much do you think the recommended crossovers will likely (hard) cost in the end?

Feel free to ask about the process for doing your MD500’s

Thanks,
ToneDef2

There is an error in my Post #5 above.

For a Film/Foil Polypropylene capacitor, the designation is FKP.

This came into my mind later. I had mistakenly typed KP, which would be simply Polypropylene Capacitor, with no indication of its plates' type.

Capacitors invading one's brain - I must be reading tooo many diyAudio posts !

ditton 66 xover values and spares

Dear ,

can anybodu provide values of capacitors, resistors etc. as used in
Ditton 66 speaker please.I have damaged both crossovers so I need values of above components.

Any help and direction will be highly appreciated.
Sure want to revive speakers and keep it running.

Kindest regards

anebojsa

ditton 66 crossover schematics

Dear members diyaudio forums,

Can you help me to obtain electrical schematics diagram for ditton 66 speakers please.
I need to repair damaged xover ,both crossovers are bad,so I can not read the values on capacitors!

Best regards,

anebojsa

ditton 66 crossover numerical data needed

Dear,

I do need schematics diagram with values for capacitors,coils and resistors.I did not find anything resembling these in previous post regarding ditton 66,only qualitive data was provided.
I am new to this forum and under moderation.
I hope I will be a full member soon.
regarding TD2 my email is as follows

nebojsa.arsenijevic@futuraplus.co.yu

TD2 please send your crossover data!

Kindest regards

PS. my ditton 66 xover was destroyed so I can not read values for electrical components inside crossover!

to find cross-over diagrams

Hello anebojsa,

look in the Thread :-

celestion 66 needs Mid-range

started by:-

Mr_White

There you will find several diagrams and several lists of the parts, BUT, do read all the thread, because the first speculative list I Posted for the Inductors values is not correct.
A list of the correct inductor values for which-ever is your Vintage of 66 is in one of the Celestion service brochures attached as Files to one of the other Contributors' Posts.

Also is Posted information about sensible choice for replacement capacitors, and the reasons why.
I have not finished fully explaining it all yet, but I will when I have time to.
For now, there is plenty there for you to start with.

keep us posted

Hi anebojsa,

You are very welcome .

After you have read through all the information and comments in that Thread, and re-conditioned your 66s, please do Post some comments in that Thread about the sound of your restored 66s and what you think.
That will be of interest to other 66 restorers, and hopefully of some use to them.

Anyone got any information/ideas on a viable replacement for the MD500 mid-range unit fitted in the Ditton 66?
I have spares of the tweeter, bass unit and ABR and intend to fabricate a pair of 66 units to see how they perform. The crossover units are loosely based on the Ditton 44 with a few minor changes so should be easy to construct with modern components. However, have faltered while trying to find a mid-range unit with a spec as close as possible to the MD500 (so that only minor adjustments to the C/O and adjustments to the voice coil impedance are required).

Anyone have a spec sheet from the original MD500?

Thanks all!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.