totem forest speaker clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have some info somewhere.i opened one and and measured the box and port.checked the drivers and photoed the crossover.the problem is that most of the crossover components do not have markings.the woofer is the hivi 6.8 ,but the tweeter is a modified seas dome not available to the public.

it's not hard to match the looks or this speaker.wrap paperbacked veneer on 3 sides,router the back corner and you can buy the claws.got a set on ebay(see pic).solen as the seas 25TAGW06 on sale.which is nearly if not the same as in the forest.they said it was nearly identical.i will see what i can find out and post it.personally i plan to build a clone using the extrimus6.8 with the 25TAGW06.should have much better low end

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,926
chainenoble said:
i have some info somewhere.i opened one and and measured the box and port.checked the drivers and photoed the crossover.the problem is that most of the crossover components do not have markings.the woofer is the hivi 6.8 ,but the tweeter is a modified seas dome not available to the public.

Hi, my name is Charles and i would be interested in building a Totem Forest Clone. Proof : I've just ordered 4 HiVi d6.8 wich will arrive next week.

I would be intereted in whatever information you have on the Totem forest. Pictures, dimension, tuning port, crossover.

Thanks. :D

regards,
Charles D.
-------------
PS : Please excuse my bad english (French Canadian over here!)

patchwork said:
Charles,

Did you end up building the Forest clones? I love those speakers, and am curious to see how your project worked out.

Not exactly ... i never found the crossover layout! I did build a MTM version but it's not done yet.

One note about the D6.8. The motor is underhung and those type of motor don't overload well. What i mean is when you get past Xmax things start to get ugly really quickly. Aslo the suspension is a bit small when compared to other drivers. There is too much mounting hole (12), 6 would have been enough. Finally they're inefficient so you better have a good amp!

One thing they do well is get low with only a few liter of volume ... that is why i picked them up in the first place... and because they were used in the totem forest.

One last thing, knowing what i know now, i wouldn't bought the Totem forest. To inefficient and the motor really don't do a good job past xmax.

I'm still interested in finding the crossover layout if anyone ever get it's hand on it.

Good luck!
--------
Chuck

It's not quite a clone of that model, but let's just say it's "inspired by true events" ;-)

It's the same dimensions as the Totem, but uses the Scan-Speak 8545K + BG Neo3 PDR. No, not cheap drivers, but the project should come in around $500, which ain't bad, considering what you'd pay for such a set up in a HiFi store. I brought them to the Lexington DIY, and received lots of positive feedback.

I haven't finished the formal writeup yet, but here's the thread about it on the PE forum. In the thread, I refer to them as the PET... but the "official" name for them will be the "Ursa Major." That way, if anyone ever loans me the Usher 8945A, I'll repeat the design with it and call it the "Ursa Minor."
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=207499

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.