Matching front/rear horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want a widerange horn, and I feel I will need to combine a front and rear horn to do this.

My concern is that the two will not cross well. How do I:

1. avoid phase problems at the crossover?

2. avoid the need for EQ at the crossover?

3. can I sucessfully combine a tractrix front with an exp/hyp rear?

Hi,
I'm looking forward to hearing the discussion on this one.

Thinking about your 3rd q. I would say yes. tractrix seems to be recommended for mid and high, whereas exponential is being used for bass.

The tractrix will be slightly less deep front to back and this may suit the cabinet construction.

lndm said:
I want a widerange horn, and I feel I will need to combine a front and rear horn to do this.

My concern is that the two will not cross well. How do I:

1. avoid phase problems at the crossover?

2. avoid the need for EQ at the crossover?

3. can I sucessfully combine a tractrix front with an exp/hyp rear?

You can read about this in Dinsdale's article:
'(...) if a single loudspeaker is used to feed two horns, the radiation from the front and rear of the cone will be out of phase and the combined length of the two horns should be an odd number of half wavelengths of the crossover frequency (...).'

You can combine tractrix and exponential/hyperbolic horns well, make sure you maintain the rule mentioned above.

See this site for Dinsdale's articles, bottom of the page.

That is a helpful read FWIW. It does answer question1.

It is not easy to dive deeply into, given what Bruce Edgar has had to say. I have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.

I would like to add to question 2:

2a. How do I ensure the driver is loaded smoothly

2b. How do I ensure the slopes match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.