Any Aussie been able to source thick coils yet??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got about 150 meters of 2.2mm copper wire for around 20 bucks from a motor shop here, i am considering getting that jaycar stepper motor controller and a stepper motor to wind them more accurately (computer does the winding fairly slowly whilst i hold the wire). You can use speaker workshop and the impedance jig to measure the inductors before you finish winding so you can get within very close tolerances)

WES/Wagner do sell some of the solen perfect lay inductors (not sure which ones, they have a 0.28ohm DCR for 1.5mh inductor), however you have to look in the passive components section of their new catalog, they aren't in the speaker section for some reason. They are still quite expensive.

lndm said:
Do you know off hand whether a 1mH wound with 2mm would have a DCR of 0.2 ohms or less?

A 1.8mm 1mH coil has dcr = 0.199ohms so I guess a 2mm wire is slightly less.

I have the old 'ME Tech' files which give resistance for the different wires they used, as well as the prices they charged. Copper prices have gone up though, and ME Tech no linger exists as such (but may resurrect ;-)) !!!

email me if interested.

noodle_snacks said:
I got about 150 meters of 2.2mm copper wire for around 20 bucks from a motor shop here, i am considering getting that jaycar stepper motor controller and a stepper motor to wind them more accurately (computer does the winding fairly slowly whilst i hold the wire). You can use speaker workshop and the impedance jig to measure the inductors before you finish winding so you can get within very close tolerances)

you will need a slow but powerful motor I think!!
gearing may help, but 2.8mm wire is hard on the hands !!!!

I wonder if I bought an old push bike I could rig something up ???
spreadsheet to calculate how many turns, click counter to count for me....
might get a bit fitter !!! has prospects ;-))

Yes the joy of finding decent inductors.
My results.

Equinox audio, Rick. His machines should be up and running again by now. (1.8 and 3mm)

Also local (bris) company I used to work for, climax electrics, over near lytton.
Will wind anything.
But, they might take a while.

Their currently winding a pair of 2.7mH in 2.5mm for me.
Wont tell exact price (mates rates etc) but somewhat cheaper than anyone else by a loooong shot..
Rick at equinox quoted about $45 each (1.8mm)
Climax are probably the same price but in 2.5mm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.