Free SketchUp software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're looking for some great software to help you visualize the design of your next project--in three dimensions--you might be interested to learn that a very slightly streamlined version of SketchUp has just become available FREE of charge. You can download it at:

Sketchup download

I've been using the full blown version of this software for about nine months and have found it to be fantastic for designing anything in three dimensions. It's not CAD software; it's really optimized for visualizing ideas. Nonetheless, you can specify dimensions quite precisely when necessary. The best part is that you're always working directly in three dimensions and the tools are very intuitive--okay, it takes a little bit of effort to get used to them at first, but there are very helpful video tutorials available. I find I now often reach for SketchUp instead of for a pen and piece of paper when trying to brainstorm. Highly recommended, and the price is now very right.

Few

This software seems pretty cool indeed, after reading the tutorials I was able to create this after about 30 minutes total in the program, a mock up of a back loaded horn for a fullrange driver (bodged together pretty horribly :D)

Attachments

• quickhorn.gif
    quickhorn.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 896
Glad you're finding SketchUp useful. I invested a chunk of change in a book that really helps make use of some of the hidden power of SketchUp. I don't have the title with me at the moment but can post it if there's interest. The downside is that it was pretty expensive (something like $90, if I recall). Nonetheless, I've come to rely on SketchUp so much that I've found the book to be a good investment. There are an amazing number of little tidbits that make the software easier to use; it's more powerful than it might seem upon first exposure. The more I learn about it, the more impressed I am.

Few

roger_lew said:
Does anyone know if you can export/convert the sketchup files to 3dsmax (.max or .3ds preferably) with the free version or with a 3rd party utility? Don't need texture info just the mesh is fine.

Thanks in advance, Roger

If you hunt around you will find your answer.

Wost case, send it to me and I will do it for you...

qi,

Thanks for the offer. My situation is unfortunately a bit more complicated. I work in a vision perception lab and we are developing software (on the cheap) that allows quick development of virtual environments and incorporation of 3ds objects. The software is also capable of rendering the scene across multiple PCs a wide field of view.

We are always on the hunt for cheap (free) tools to extend the capability of the software for little or no cost to the user.

I looked around a bit but didn't find anything at the moment. Hopefully the google 3D warehouse will inspire someone to create such a utility (or atleast allow me to find an existing one).

Regards,
Roger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.