Can BR boxes be converted to TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new ;)

I want to build a pair of speakers for music use without a sub, generally at low SPL. A design with high sensitivity and an f3 around 30Hz would therefore suit, so an MTM transmission line enclosure is what I plan on building.

The Thor variants interest me because "optimised" enclosures were developed for the Seas drivers using the Thor crossover without modification, despite the optimised MLTL enclosures being very different in configuration to the original Thor.

However much I'd love to build a Thor variant, I can't justify the expense of the Seas drivers for my first project. I'm very interested in the designing my own enclosure (using MJK's MathCad worksheets), but don't want to get in to crossover design at this stage.

Given that I can't find any cheaper, reputable MTM transmission line designs to base my project on, my question is can I use the crossover and drivers from a BR enclosure for a transmission line enclosure if I keep the baffle width the same?

Cheers

Scottmoose said:
Yes, is the answer, of course you can. Just keep the front baffle the same width as the original so you don't mess up any baffle-step compensation built into the crossover, as you note. Did you have anything in particular in mind?

Thanks for the reply, Scott, that's what I wanted to hear. Must the front baffle internal width be maintained too?

I'm considering using either Dayton RS180s or Vifa XG18s - what drivers would you recommend for TL use in that price range (~USD30-60)? I don't have any particular crossovers for either in mind yet.

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply -I got a bit sidetracked. Of the two, the Daytons would be my first choice in value for money terms. Alternatively, you might want to think about a 2 way using a single 10in driver with a tweeter, which will have much more LF heft due to the greater cone area, if you can stretch to it.

Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.