Bypass Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only measured data I have is using my ears. Bypass caps work. I use the Vishay Roederstein MKP1837 0.01uF as recommended by Tony Gee. The difference in sound is not subtle by any means.

My empirical view is that the smaller cap probably allows faster transient response, and preserves low level detail better by being much smaller. I'd expect large caps to 'damp' the sound slightly due to their much larger plate area.

On the other hand of course, I could be talking out of my rear end.

Try them out and see for yourself.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Sometimes. I have heard good and bad stories here. I can't dispute anything, but I have had a bad run with bypassing.

I too often seem to encounter what sounds like a bad interaction between the two caps. It sounds like a resonance of some kind.

In short, follow specific advice about which caps to combine, or IMO just use quality single caps.

I will get some solen 0.1uf tin-foil caps since they are easily availible. I have to say however that that north creek music page just seems to be attempting to sell a whole bunch more capacitors to their customers more than anything else. I will let you know how things go, as well as to try and figure out some way to measure the difference in transient response (any ideas here)

Hi there

I was very pleased with my silver mica 1000pf bypass caps, the level of detail and "airiness" improved. After playing some classical music i had to remove them, they colored the instruments, for example a woodblock got an strange extra sound.

It still is an great trick and may be a great way to get some more detail out of a cheapo tweeter.

Best regards

I have found that not all types of bypassing caps work as well. The MKP1837 seems to be one of the few that improves things in all situations. I have also had good results with 0,01uF Styroflex types. Silver Mica seems only to work well with midrange caps in a 3-way system; used as a tweeter cap bypass it can get over etched, even harsh sometimes. I found Wima MKP10 to add a sort of "plastic" sound to the treble even though it did improve clarity. Another combination that works well is Clarity Cap SA for the main value and then bypassed with a Mundorf Supreme.

So to sum things up, bypassing can give very pleasing results, more air, better micro detailing and smoother treble. But it doesn't always work - so experiment is my advice.

Some good stuff, but not much empirical data here so far. Here is an excerpt from the TI publication op amps for everyone on using different caps for bypassing power supplies, etc.

TYPE MAX FREQUENCY
Aluminum Electrolytic 100 kHz
Tantalum Electrolytic 1 MHz
Mica 500 MHz
Ceramic 1 GHz

For those interested in more detail, look at page 370 of the pdf (freely available online).

Mundorf's are expensive

Rats, a minumum order at Mouser is 1000 parts for the MKP1837.

That's a few more than I need.

Mundorf's cost more than my ears are worth. They are $20 each for the Silver and $30 each for the Silver/Gold in the 0.1 uF rating.

$20 extra for the tweeter in a parallel circuit would be ok but in a series x-over I don't know if I need them everywhere or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.