Computer speakers blew out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HElp this newbie. The comp. speakers blew recently and now Im in search for a new pair of speakers. I had some small Logitech speakers with a small sub, but now I really want to get in to hi-end speakers. I like MOrel. Never tried Vifa or Seas. Any kits out there that I should look at? Also any sites you guys can refer me to look at cabinet designs? I want to build something which is simple not too complicated. Also designs for crossovers and cabinets made for certain speakers would also help. Budget for just parts for the pair is about $300 for drivers, tweeters, and crossover parts. Im looking for somthing that has good bass, nice and smooth midrange and highs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

Is there any generic box size or cabinet without much internal frame work that I can build my self? I really like the Morel sound. What kind of Dayton drivers and tweets would you recommend? They have alot and I dont know where to start. A 3-way system would be a plus also!

Well seeing that you are coming from a starting point of computer speakers, anything is going to be a big improvement. I'd hestitate to make suggestions because the sky is the limit. You could get a pair of the Dayton Classic 8" woofers and a PT-2 ribbon (it has a new name now) and make a fine 2 way in a floorstanding transmission line for realitively low cost. There is a project like this listed on the site but with a dome tweeter. They have recently added a line of aluminum cone (reference series) woofers that look very good for the money. I haven't had the opportunity to try them. Even usinbg those you'd be within budget.

I am sure you will get other suggestions.

You didn't say if you were looking for nearfield monitors for your desk.
If so you will want magnetically shielded drivers. Some of those I mentioned are not.

Correction. I mistakenly referred to the Dayton PT-2 tweeter as a ribbon. It is not a ribbon but rather a planar tweeter. Sorry, I'm tired.

Im looking to build bookshelf speakers or monitors. Nothing really big. Like i aid, 3-way would be a plus. But the speakers will be placed on the computer desk. What steps are taken in order to shield them? Im currently looking at projects on PEX and some of them are cheap when parts are concerned. Is VIfa good? If a project calls for a cheap ($15) Dayton woofer, can i substitute a better woofer in place of the Dayton? How much better are ribbons compared silks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.