2-Way Driver Selection Assistance Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

I am looking to build a 2-way bookshelf system. Currently I am running a 2-way using the Vifa D27TG-45-06 tweeter and Vifa P13WH-00-08 mid-woofer. I have an issue with this system. My preference in loudspeakers is a more Electrostatic or Magnepan type of sound quality and what I have now is a much more traditional soft dome tweeter sound.

I will be mating the bookshelf speakers with my current sub which is a homebrew unit consisting of a Lambda Acoustics SB-10 Woofer and a 250W Plate Amp.

My music tastes are varied. Classical, Trad and Modern Jazz as well as some Classic Rock. The room I have everything in is about 15ftX25ft. I would consider building Electrostatics but living room real estate dictates the use of bookshelf's or small tower. I would like to keep my Budget for drivers down to < $700USD. The amp I am using is a Vintage Hitachi HMA-8500 MKII that puts out about 100WPC.

I am considering retaining my P13WH-00-08 mid-woofer and matching it up with a ribbon tweeter since I am very happy with that unit. Any other suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.

Mike

I don't think you necessarily have to give up on building electrostatics, especially if you're willing to stick with your mid-woofers. The ESL panel could be reasonably small if you're going to cross it over high enough. There are obviously other good approaches as well, but I thought I'd toss in a word of ESL encouragement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.