Home theatre system suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
wilco is offline wilco  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question Home theatre system suggestions

Hello

I'm looking to build myself a home theatre system. I already on a powered sub so for the moment don't need to make the .1

The system will only be used for HT, a stereo pair for music will come later. I will also purchase a receiver once the speakers are complete.

I like the simplicity of fullrange speakers for example the CSS drivers. Im pretty flexable with the size and type of cabinet. Construction is ok but designing from scratch is beyond me at the moment

The budget would extend to around $800 Aussie $ for drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions of available designs out there using the above (or similar) drivers (bearing in mind Parts express postage is frightful to Aus). Will fullrangers work ok for HT?

Thanks very much!
Old 28th April 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Full ranges will definately work for HT. They are a great choice, as is the FR125. You may want to check out the Full Range section, but here is an example of a FR125 hometheater.
Here

Good Luck,

Josh
Old 28th April 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

For a good cheap HT system try using the DaiChi drivers from WES components. Even if you use small line arrays for the mains and rears you will still come in way below budget, and have a very useable HT system.

then you can put the savings toward the REAL stuff later!!
Old 28th April 2006, 02:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

would the following match up? (all borrowed from http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ )

MiniOnken Centre & Rear's

MiniOnken floorstander L + R
Old 30th April 2006, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

looking into this more...

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DDRDipoleDesign.pdf

The design below should allow me to use these for both my home theatre and stereo listening, anyone have any comments on these?
Old 30th April 2006, 05:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You need to consider how loud you want your HT. If near reference I doubt a small cone full ranger would cope. (for example my 5" midrange used to clip a 60w amp being used 250hz - 1400Hz) .

Music is a lot less demanding.

Rob.
Old 30th April 2006, 05:51 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
have you considered using wideband speakers for all five channels.
Then your sub can be dedicated to sub only duty and the speakers will play all the bass in the correct positions.

Some systems take the sub out of circuit if you tell the decoder that wideband speakers are in use. To overcome this you need to take a summing output from two or more channels and send this to a sub low pass filter.

Overall, I think this gives a better performance and I think THX and DTS recommend this set up.
Old 30th April 2006, 06:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What amp are you planning on using for the HT?

I think that small full ranges would be fine, as long as his HT reciever has certain capabilities.

Josh
Old 30th April 2006, 06:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
have you considered using wideband speakers for all five channels.
Then your sub can be dedicated to sub only duty and the speakers will play all the bass in the correct positions.

Some systems take the sub out of circuit if you tell the decoder that wideband speakers are in use. To overcome this you need to take a summing output from two or more channels and send this to a sub low pass filter.

Overall, I think this gives a better performance and I think THX and DTS recommend this set up.

Hi Andrew,

AFAIK the THX setup is all speakers set to small, xo'd second order at 80Hz. All <80Hz stuff mixed with LFE channel and lowpassed 4th order at 80Hz. Needs sealed main channels to do the xo properly.

Rob
Old 30th April 2006, 06:34 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Robwells,
my info is secondhand.
Can you confirm what THX does if all speakers are set to large?

What happens with any of the coding systems if just one speaker is set to small? Does it matter which speaker is set to small?

I've read and re-read my Cyrus instructions and I cannot fathom out the logic.

Now back to my earlier suggestion, is performance better if all speakers are wide band, any comments?
I don't have any limited bandwidth speakers to make a comparison and certainly don't intend wasting money on acquiring some.

Hide this!Advertise here!