Onken Enclosures - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2006, 01:42 AM   #1
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Enclosures

This is a great forum and I've learnt a great deal from it. Enough to rethink what I would like to build. I am now thinking of Onken type enclosure with maybe two 10" or 12" woofers with the range above maybe 250Hz covered by a homebuilt horn. Similar appearance to the speakers of the fifties and sixties I suppose. Could someone please advise as to what parameters make a woofer suitable for the Onken type enclosure. Most I have tried suitable for BR enclosures end up with the ports miles too long according to the Onken Spreadsheet. The horn would perhaps be driven by a 4" full range driver as the one mentioned by Colin awhile back was.

Thanks for any help,
jamikl
Old 26th April 2006, 01:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Enclosures

Sorry, should have added budget will be a bit limited but as this is a longer term goal something may be able to be done. Room size is approx 6m (20") long and about as wide although that includes a hall that the long side is open to. Floor to ceiling windows all down the other side. 2.4m (8") high. As far as availibility goes I am in Melbourne.
Old 26th April 2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jamikl
I'm just a bit north of you, in Hawaii.

The Onken is a wonderful bass cabinet, but doesn't seem to be well known in the English speaking world.
I've had a lot of experience listening to Onken cabinets, but alas, no experience building them.

Recently I was trying to help a buddy design an Onken for 15" drivers, but we could not get the spreadsheet to give us good numbers, either. I know that the Onken works well with JBL, TAD and Altec 15" drivers. Also a "mini Onken" with a 10" Focal driver back in the 80s.

Maybe the spreadsheet is flawed? Has anyone else designed a succesful Onken box with current drivers?
Old 26th April 2006, 03:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Enclosures

Your experience is indeed the same as mine Panomaniac. I have a copy of the old papers in French as well but I have only schoolboy french from a long time ago. One day I may the find the time to work it out!!!!
Old 26th April 2006, 04:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Send me a scan of what you have, I can translate. Used to have the articles, but no more. My email is on my site.
Old 26th April 2006, 05:18 AM   #6
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I did some calculations with the sheet. High Qts seems to be more effective in in reaching very low frequencies than low Fs (and high Vas).
Old 26th April 2006, 05:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Enclosures

Thanks for that el'Ol -- will try it.
Thanks for the offer Panomaniac. There are quite few pages but I will send them if that's ok?
jamikl
Old 26th April 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Send a couple of pages, I'll get started. May not have time to do a full translation right away, but will pull out any important stuff and put it in English.

BTW, I used to do English/French translations of technical manuals, including some audio stuff. But that was a looong time ago.
Old 26th April 2006, 07:12 AM   #9
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

The spreadsheet isn't flawed, I compared it to mine, which was checked by a Frenchman whose technical expertise of audio in general and Onkens in particular is highly regarded.

Low Fs, Qts, high Vas drivers can be tuned low if some form of series resistance is used, though high Vas means a large cab. More recent drivers often have a much lower Vas, which makes the vents way too long if the standard Onken alignments are used.

For mating to a horn, prosound midbass horn drivers should be used for best results and use some form of series resistance as required to get to the desired Fb, so meeting a tight budget is going to be tough unless 'down under' you have available some inexpensive units I'm not aware of.

GM
Old 26th April 2006, 08:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Enclosures

Thanks for your input GM. I value your experience. Quite envious of some of your speakers as well!!!! I do belong to the bigger is better school but will probably be limitied to somewhere between 6 and 8 cu. ft. for the main enclosure. I'm in no immediate hurry so can afford to grow the bank balance a bit before I start.
jamikl

Hide this!Advertise here!