Dynaudio Driver Matching for Multichannel Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a large collection of Dynaudio drivers I have been collecting for the last several years since they stopped selling to the DIY market. I am planning to use these drivers for two multichannel setups for my house (one for an a/v room, the other for a multichannel audio room). I have sufficient quantities of the tweeter to use the same one for all (D260s), but I have a hodgepodge of Dynaudio midranges, woofers and midwoofers (D54 mids, 15W75, 17W75, 17W75LQ, 24W75 woofers), along with a few NHT 1259s I plan to use as subwoofers. My question is: how important is it to use the exact same woofers or midrange drivers for the front and center channel speakers? It seems to me that this would be more important for music than for movie effects, but I don't have a good feel for the importance of this design parameter for a multichannel speaker setup. I'm hoping that I only have to worry about matching things like the driver efficiency and not other things like "tonality" (which I don't know how to measure or even define).

From my experience I don't like the sound of a center that doesn't match the mains.Surrounds I think aren't as important but everything I've read says the center should really match the mains.Dynaudios are nice I had some 2 ways with the 21w54s that I loved(Long gone stolen
with my center moons ago.)

I just finished a pair of MTMs and I'm building my center as a T
MM with the same mids to match.

I have focused on these possible front-center driver configurations:

1. right/left speakers: D260 tweeter/D54 mid/24W75 woofer; center speaker: D260 tweeter/15W75 mid-woofer (center "upside down" to align the tweeters horizontally)

2. right/left/center speakers: D260 tweeter/17W75LQ mid-woofer (identical designs, with the center mounted as above)

3. right/left speakers: D260 tweeter/D54 mid/24W75 woofer; center speaker: D260 tweeter/17W75LQ mid-woofer (center "upside down" to align the tweeters horizontally)

Option 2 will obviously work, since all three front speakers will have the exact same driver configuration. However, options 1 and 3 appeal to me because the right and left speakers are full range and would probably sound better for 2-channel playback. I do also have NHT 1259 drivers for use as subs, which would need different crossover frequencies for the three options (probably 70 Hz or less for options 1 and 3, somewhat higher for option 2).

I briefly considered a WMTW arrangement for the center channel (D260/D54 mid/2x17W75LQ), but I am not sure the sonic content of the center channel requires use of that approach. Maybe I should just sell all my drivers and take the easy route! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.