Need speakers for tube amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm finishing my first tube amp - a Morgan Jones Bevois Valley design...

All my speakers are designed for powerful SS amps - I have SL6s & LS3/5As etc. with 84 dB SPL sensitivity (1 watt at 1 meter).

I need some far more sensitive units - are there any good & reasonably priced designs for DIY speakers that are especially suited to valve amps? I Listen to a whole range of music from clasical to rock, solo vocalists to choirs... I'm in the UK, if that helps... Kits are OK, but I have pretty good DIY skills, and a good workshop (table saw, routers etc. etc.)...

I really would appreciate some pointers as to what my options are - I am prepared to spend the right money for the right drivers...

Thanks

When it comes down to it, any good speaker should sound good with a valve amp. Really though, the sensitivity issue is going to come into play.

10 valve watts will typically (in my experience) rival 50 solid state watts though so all is not lost.

So... monitors are probably out. In my search for sensitivity, I pushed the envelope on compensating for baffle step diffraction. My speakers were flat from the midrange up, with a dip in the bass. Filling this dip is a rear loaded horn.

Horns are one great way to get sensitivity, but sensitivity is not their only coup de grace.

this
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Catamount/CatamountInfo.htm
may also prove interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.