PA system got me down.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2006, 05:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default PA system got me down....

some of you may remember by thread titled "ideas for a cheap party speaker", esentially it was a design for a TTMMMM(you read correctly) speaker designed to get low and punchy be relatively efficient be cheap and be LOUD.

browsing parts express i got a bad bad idea....

those eminence 10" coaxials really arent all that expensive eh?
i know that they sould sound a DAMN lot better but they wouldnt have the same kind of pain inducing SPL im looking for.....

unless i supplemented with stereo subs....

*time warp sounds*

most of you remember the old tempest horn designs, it was a horn (not to big) that was 97db efficient at 27hz(corner loaded id assume judging by its size) for an adire temptest. i was told that it would work more than close enough with the atlas 15 i posess, and have been planning to build one for a while....

*more time warp sounds*

SO what if i were to have each eminence coax crossed at maybe 150hz, at which point it hands off its bass to the horn sub its resting on? would that deliver punishing SPL?

BUT IT AINT THAT SIMPLEEE!!!!

i was thinking if maybe theres a lower priced lower excursion lower powerhandling, did i mention cheaper? alternative to the tempest, that would work well in a tempest horn design, some cheapie PA driver. if it lacks the 27hz usable lwo end figure so be it, if it extends to 40hz that woudl be dandy, mid 30s would be fantastic

so tell me is this idea good? i know that the eminence coaxes actually sound *gasp* good, and sound a hell of a lot better than the monstrosity i planned out. i would build the same design as the adire he10.1 and use them standalone for music in my room too.

heres the eminence coax i was talking about

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-502

for the tempest horn if you dont already know it, search for adire tempest horn on google and you should get the old PDF.
Old 18th April 2006, 08:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you build a bass-horn you will realize pretty quickly that your sanity isn't worth it to save the last buck.
Old 18th April 2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Why not going full horny?

The following system produces party SPL between 250Hz and 20Khz, and only has a 1,5" Monacor MHD-152 compression driver and an Eminence Delta 10 in it.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also have a folded horn with a 15" cheap driver in it, but it gets clearly inefficient outdoors even with a wall behind (as expected, since I designed it for indoors corner placement).

For outdoor use consider always four bass horns placed together as a minimum (no matter if the drivers are poor). Using less than four bass horns together outdoors is exactly like driving a car with less than four wheels (with three it's bit unstable, with two it's not practical, and with one impossible).
Old 18th April 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

Eva,
please tell me what make&model is the mid-horn used by Delta 10'? Thanks.
Old 18th April 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
The original mid-horn was a MRH-3244 from Monacor, but since they sell them quite expensive, I managed to get a friend with good fiberglass skills to make a mould and copy it. The expansion profile seemed quite suitable (it appears to have the lowest resonance around 170Hz if I remember properly).
Old 18th April 2006, 03:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Very nice work there. I'd go with a better tweeter but the Delta 10 is a good horn driver iirc.
Old 18th April 2006, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

why not go full horns? cause im a poor 15 year old....

so what if i said screw horns, and did my plans, but instead of horns dude a BR with 2 15s per side?
Old 18th April 2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Stephan,

Now you're talking. What took you so long?

A couple of cheap 15's, a horn , a premade XO, some 8 and 16 ohm resistors and you're done.

Try Q Components in Waterloo. They have an online catalogue you can download. It's not that up to date so you'll have to call them and ask what's still available.

Sammi ME380B200 15" PA woofer, approx $85 Cdn.

X-Tealth horn tweet HT-408 6" X 7" $40 ea.

Premade XO of about 3K should work fine.

Then you will have the ear splitting party speakers you long for.

100 watts = pain.
Old 19th April 2006, 03:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

will those speakers you reccomended sound good? like good enough for in home music listening (comparable to a pair of energy c-1s), id expect the off axis to be HORRIBLE with a 15" midbass.

although they would only be for when i was feeling loud, most of the time i cant play that loud cause my mosm really touchy about that stuff, and it doesnt help that she isnt as big a blind guardian fan as i am...

also how much bass will they have? what if i gave them some help on the low end with my atlas in a tempest horn, running mono, so id just have one sub but it would be 97db+(cause atlas is more efficient than tempest) and would have 240 watts backing it.

this sound like a better plan than the 410 2 tweetered pyramid monstrosity?
Old 19th April 2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

OK,
I thought these were just for fun and volume. The kind you drag out onto the patio for party time. The drivers in question will be loud and proud but not suited for nearfield or a small room for that matter. The bass will be substantial but not deep. Don't get hung up on the depth as even PA drivers will go as low as most music.

Are they very efficient? Yes.
Are they suited for HT? No, not really.
Do they have oodles of gut thumping bass? Yes.
Do they need a sub for regular music? No.
Will they sound better than your original plan? Yes.

Stephan,

In my sunroom, I have two sets of music only speakers. Set one is for crtical listening up to about 1 or maybe 10 watts. The second set is a pair of 15" pro coax units and a 15" powered woofer. They are for when we've had too many beer and don't really care about the neighbours or our hearing. They are heavily EQ'd as is the case with many pro drivers. I wouldn't like them as my main listening speakers but they are always happy to pump out the juice when the time is right.

If you are trying to build a set that is for both critical listening and party time, I'm not sure what to suggest unless you've got some serious coin.

Hide this!Advertise here!