Definitive SuperTower Clone - Anyone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2006, 01:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Default Definitive SuperTower Clone - Anyone?

Has anyone done a clone or similar project to a Definitive SuperTower?

Basically, front and rear firing MTM with a side firing powered sub with a passive radiator.

Does anyone own any? How do you like them?

The attached image has some details. Does anyone know what the low frequency design tunnel is (upper right hand corner)? Also, they mention T-Line enclosure (lower corner) but also mention a radiator in the write-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg definitive_bp3000tl_a.jpg (67.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 18th April 2006, 05:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hmm it'd be a fun project to try but there are some risks. You could end up with a pile of useless parts. I'm curious too on why the DIY community does not seem to do bipolar and "omnipolar" designs as much. If such a design was attempted there'd have to be some sort of high frequency and midrange attenuation to compensate for alot of reflected energy. It'd be rather hard to get a flat response IMHO. I own Mirage OMNI-50s they sound great but I have no measurements to back that up. The speaker is voiced with a recessed midrange according to soundstage measurements.
Old 18th April 2006, 01:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
I heard one of the SuperTowers (I think the one with the 5" MTM config). I liked how they sounded. The bass was excelelnt, not too overpowering or heavy. Very open sounding.

Just curious if anyone has tried this type of thing. It is beyound my skill level but I would love to read about it.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...ower.html#7004
Old 21st April 2006, 11:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is an intresting paragraph I found on this website:

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtec...ical200402.htm

Quote:
"A bipolar loudspeaker is simply a configuration of moving-coil drive units mounted on both the front and rear of a cabinet and wired in electrical phase with one another. The result is very much like having two good-quality forward-radiating speakers wired together in phase with one pointing forward, the other backwards. The loudspeaker now begins to disperse sound nearly 360 degrees around the cabinet. This arrangement produces signals identical to a forward-radiating loudspeaker in front of the loudspeaker with the addition of reflected signals off of the rear and side walls due to the sound produced by the rearward-firing driver units. When these signals are acoustically added together in the listening room, we found that we were now achieving very close to that 30:70 direct-to-reflected sound ratio found in real life."
What is meant by electrical wired in phase??

If you had a MTM configuration, would you just put the same design on the back baffle?

Would you have to add a time delay to the rear baffle?

Just curiously questions.
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:21 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Here is an intresting paragraph I found on this website:

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtec...ical200402.htm

What is meant by electrical wired in phase??

If you had a MTM configuration, would you just put the same design on the back baffle?

Would you have to add a time delay to the rear baffle?

Just curiously questions.

Yes that is correct.
Old 20th November 2009, 03:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default jesus man!!! I am not the only one after all.

Yes. Finally the project i was looking for. At last. This model is simply awesome. I am wondering if someone would be capable of cloning these babies. It would be the BP7000

They Kick ***.They are a piece of art in sound quality.The sound is like B&W Nautilus.

Please any help with these project.I mean.This project easily can take 6 months maybe more. VIFA DRIVERS A MUST !!!!

Gioxtream
Old 20th November 2009, 04:39 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angsuman View Post
I'm curious too on why the DIY community does not seem to do bipolar and "omnipolar" designs as much.
Have a look on the FR forum. Los of bipoles/omnis.

The Definitive design, being much deeper than it is wide, is going to suffer a significant on-axis bipole dip (a FR dip from the extra distance the sound from the back takes. Lotsa toe-in helps, but best to go wide & shallow.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!