Problems with HT speaker setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am stuck in a mess and was hoping I would get some ideas here.
I have made an MTM with Vifa TC18WG49-08 and D27TG-05-06. Now I use the speakers with a DIY 70W amplifier. It sounds good with that amp. I am now setting up my home theatre system. But the MTM does not sound so good with my Denon AVR1403 receiver. The output is rather less and I have to pump up the volume. The receiver heats up too much if I use the MTM with it and the sound is not so good. The receiver plays better with 8 ohm speakers. So obviously my Denon does not handle 4 ohms very well.
What I thought was to break up the MTM and make front TM speakers with TC18 and D27 and use the other two TC18s for a centre channel speaker.
Alternately, I could buy a pair of Vifa P17WJ and use it with the D27 to build a TM front tower. Anyway the P17WJ midbasses are also better than the TC18 and could be used for music also.
What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Vivek

jaudio,
You are right. Turning up the volume too much will be pushing the limits of the receiver. That is something I do not want to do, right?

Arthur,
The receiver does not have pre outs for the 5 channels. It has only tape out and vcr line level outputs. I tried hooking up the tape out/ vcr to the external amp but it works only in the case of tuner/ CD/ auxiliary inputs. By doing this the fronts are not controlled by the master volume on the receiver.

If your receiver allows you to power your speakers and your headphones at the same time you can use the reciever to power your center and surrounds and use your diyamp to power your mains. Plus your headphone jack is controlled by the master volume.

I had a similar setup for awhile so I could use my NAD 304 to power my mains until I found a technics ac-sh300 surround processor.

There in nothing you can do about the receiver,that the way Denon receiver are. Denon receivers do run kind of warm.

1. Try using a 1.5-2ohm resistor in series with speakers.

2. disconnected one of the two woofers in each,but at the very least you will have to change the woofer's inductor. If it is ported,plug up the port.

Both ideas will change speakers response some but it will make it easy for the reciever to drive.

Jaudio,
The reason I used an MTM is to get some bass out of the TC18s. So if I disconnect one it will sound pathetic again.
I could try a series resistor.

Rabbitz,
The Denon manual says I can use any impedance between 6 and 16 ohm. But will 16 ohm not result in too less power?

David, that would be the ideal solution. But I cannot afford another receiver right now. Ebay India sells mostly Sony and Yamaha receivers.
Importing it from outside is a pain, thanks to the customs here. That is why I thought making a new pair of 8 ohm speakers would be a far cheaper option since Vifa/SS and some other quality drivers are available in India. The ideal situation would be if I can work out a solution with the drivers I presently have.

Vivek said:

I have made an MTM with Vifa TC18WG49-08 and D27TG-05-06. ... What I thought was to break up the MTM and make front TM speakers with TC18 and D27 and use the other two TC18s for a centre channel speaker.
Alternately, I could buy a pair of Vifa P17WJ and use it with the D27 to build a TM front tower. Anyway the P17WJ midbasses are also better than the TC18 and could be used for music also.

You can convert the MTM to a MT but you will loose abut 3db in sensitivity. still given your options it is worth a try.

I would then take the 2 TC18s (along with some tweeters) and use them for rear (not center) and live with phantom center.

Once you are happy with that I would upgrade the TC18 to P17 or M18 woofers. The M18 might offer better bass than the P17. and use the TC18 (from the MT) for a center or bedroom system.

Navin,
This setup is basically for home theatre and I will be building a sub as you know. In that case losing 3dB would not be a major worry since the fronts and surrounds would be basically handling the midbass and highs. So will a TC18 not suffice.
Of course, I listen to a lot of music too but again I can use the sub on the receiver if I feel the bass is not enough. As you said the upgrade to P17 or M18 can come at a later stage too.
By the way, how much is the M18 and is it available in India?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.