speaker response mesurement - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2006, 07:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default speaker response mesurement

In order to go active with my Zanszen Z2-CF speakers, I have started to mesure the drivers (10" closed suspension woofer + electrostat mid/tweeter, crossed at 800Hz with the passive old crossover).

I'm intend to use Jens and Bob Ellis active crossover from the diyAudio group buy.

software I used was Speaker Workshop,
with dynamic microphone and laptop (using the mic input- there is no line input in the lapptop PC).

I have took the sound card calibration while Instead of wire link from line out to line in, I used voltage divider (10K--100R) from the line out into the mic input of the laptop (1% of the signal from line out goes to mic in), this seems to be OK.

Problems/ questions:

1- MLS signal clipps - taking the volume output down in the Audio control panel making no change.

2- I did first mesurements with Audio-technica AT834-2 dynamic microphone, It have a 600Ohm impedance and it is too low output and too low impedance for my soundmax sound card in my Compaq nc6000 lapptop.

From reading here I learned it's better to use a flat respone with calibration file, condenser microphone like the Pansasonic WM-61.

I now VIKASH from the forum have these, but he now in holiday.

My question: is it necessary to use the WM-61 electret with the external mic amplifier? (As we can see at the Madaboutsound.com).

If I callibrate the software from the line output to the mic input, Means I can correlate the internal mic amplifer in my sound card- so why should I use an external mic amp?
(one more- do I have to correlate from the speaker workshop (calculate) or the software does this automaticely).

If it is not necessary I can connect the electret mic directly into the mic input at my laptop (Do I need 6v battary for the WM-61?).

If I have to use external mic amp. I will have to use my pentium3 450 old PC and probabely have to buy a modern sound card).

Last question regardings mesuring Dipole electrostat-
I found it diffecult (take this as understatment) to mesure correctly the high region of the dipole, from the fact that the microphone can be as close as say 40-50 cm from the dipole, and the response vary a lot from moving the microphone position.
Any help from experianced dipole users?

I now I had too many questions for a single post,
but any help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Avi.

Hide this!Advertise here!