Speakers: 8 ohms vs. 16 ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using a 16 ohm speaker over a 8 ohm speaker with a small class-D amp like the SI T-amp or DIYParadise Charlize, or a chipamp like the Gaincard/Gainclone?

Also, I realize it's an impedance mis-match, but what happens when I drive a 16 ohm speaker with the 8 ohm tap of my tube amp's output transformer?

I just purchased a pair of 16 ohm speakers. Everything I've been using up to this point has been 8 ohms.

Thanks,
KT

KT said:
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using a 16 ohm speaker over a 8 ohm speaker with a small class-D amp like the SI T-amp or DIYParadise Charlize, or a chipamp like the Gaincard/Gainclone?

Also, I realize it's an impedance mis-match, but what happens when I drive a 16 ohm speaker with the 8 ohm tap of my tube amp's output transformer?

I just purchased a pair of 16 ohm speakers. Everything I've been using up to this point has been 8 ohms.

You don't match impedances on a transistor amplifier, all using 16 ohm speakers will do is half the available power output.

Even with a valve amp it's not a disaster, but it's not recommended, you lose power output, and put extra strain on the valves, output transformer, and power supply.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Class D amplifiers with the output filter outside of the feedback loop, such as the Tripath amps, have a load dependent frequency response. The values of the inductor and capacitor in the output filter are tuned for a certain load. You change the load impedance, you change the frequency response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.