my new way to build a TML

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi @ll

I have got a new idea how to calculate and build a TML. I would like to share my ideas with you.

First thought: TML = vented system

A TML is a vented construction like a Horn, TQWT, BR etc. The big difference is that the line is getting tighter.

Second thought: tuning frequency (f TML)

You find in literature that you should set the tuning frequency on the free air frequency (f s) of the driver. According to other projects from me I thing that you shouldn’t use one frequency for two different parameters.
And I have the feeling that the tuning frequency should be a bit higher than the free air frequency of the driver.

Third thought: starting section (A H) and ending section (A M)

The starting section (AH) has got to be in a certain percentage to the ending section (AM). In the past I have played a lot with 1,6181 (we call it golden cut).

Fourth thought: volume of the line (VTML)

I cases that the line gets smaller the air load on the driver will be higher. Therefore I thing that the volume has to be higher that the volume of a Bassreflex (Vbr). A have made similar notice with my way of building a backload horn.
In order of the starting -, ending area and the length we have a volume. This volume should be emotional 1.5 – 1.6 times higher than the Bassreflex. I have had 1.2 – 1.3 times higher volumes at BL-horns and here we load the horn after the chamber.

Fifth thought: the right driver

A driver for a BR should be the right driver for a TML. Qts around 0.25 – 0.4 should work fine

Starting the calculation:

First we need the optimal BR volume (VBR) and calculate it with the factor.
(-> formula 1)

Simplified we can calculate the tuning frequency (fVTML) of the driver in that volume.
(-> formula 2)

The tuning frequency of the TML length (fTML) should be between the free air frequency (fs) and the tuning frequency (fVTML) of the driver in the volume.
(-> formula 3)
We get the length with:
(-> formula 4)

When we have found out the optimal volume we can calculate the starting and ending sections. All we have to do is to convert the formula for the volume. The requirement is that the sections stand in a certain percentage.
(-> formula 5)
(-> formula 6)
(-> formula 7)

Opening section is than:
(-> formula 8)

Than I have placed the driver at 1/3 of the TML-length and simulated a drive I am playing with right now.

Attachments

• formel_tml.jpg
    formel_tml.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,228
Hi Bose(o)

I have planed to place the driver at 1/3 of the lenght as you can see on the picture below.

The lower camber is to adsorption a frequency at 200Hz.

The upper camber is for a fullrange driver (the Coral 8A-70).

I haven't finished the frontplate yet.

regards Till

Attachments

• start_04.jpg
    start_04.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,052
latest update

here is my last picture. Next week I will build in the Coral 8A-70. Right now a 17cm Philips fullrange speaker is added.

The sound is getting better every hour. The woofers are new and the sound was a bit strange in the beginning. Now it is getting better and better

cya Till

Attachments

• start_05.jpg
    start_05.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,269
hi zobsky,

wath speaker do you mean? the left is a Fostex FX200 in a BL-horn from me.

And the Coral 8A-70 is an old fullrange speaker with very good parameters as you can see on the datasheet.

The woofer I am using is a Fostex W300A-II

Hi Bose(o)

I don't use measurement but I hope a friend of mine will/can help me out with that. If I have pictures I will post them.
No I am still working 9hours a day. I am working with the TML between 7:00pm - 01:00am.

my motto right now: the day has 24hours. If that is not enough take the night. or you can sleep when u are dead.

Attachments

• tml-driver-coral.jpg
    tml-driver-coral.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 996
Hi,

since yesterday evening the TML is playing with the Fostex woofer and the Coral fullrange speaker.
So far I am very happy with the sound. The TML is playing very deep and with a lot more control than the FX-horn. Sometimes you have the feeling that the woofer is not on and as soon as you want to check the wireing you can feel and hear the bass. It is never intrusive (??) or booming.

The sound of the Coral is fitting perfect to the sound of the Fostex.

I will play the next days with the volume and the X-over.

cya Till

Attachments

• start_06.jpg
    start_06.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 916
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.