Soundeasy PC requirements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2006, 12:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Soundeasy PC requirements

Couple of quick questions. I recently purchased Soundeasy and it arrived yesterday and Iím anxious to use it. Iím working 7-12s for the next couple months so I wonít have a lot of time to play, but once this is over I want to be 100% ready.

I purchased an Emu 0404 sound card for measurements, Iím hoping it will work well, but I need to upgrade my PC. The Emu needs a minimum of 1.2 Ghz machine and the Soundeasy needs a 1.7Ghz, my shop PC is an older socket A AMD 900Mhz. So I need to upgrade my shop PC.

I havenít built a machine since the shop PC, about five years ago, so Iím out of date on processors and motherboards. For some background, there are 4 desktops and two laptops in my house. The ones in the house are newer and faster, pre packaged machines.

So what I want to build is a dedicated machine for Soundeasy and music and I donít want to spend a fortune nor do I want to buy another pre packaged machine that has tons of useless software on it. So can anyone tell me what kind of machine they are running with Soundeasy and how they like the results or direct me to a good combo for a machine. Iím leaning towards another AMD setup, Asus K8V-X SE Socket 754 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athon 64 3300+ 2.40GHz CPU. Any thoughts, is this more than I need?
Old 8th April 2006, 03:08 PM   #2
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

You will probably need that fastest you think you can affort when you start generating plots and using the design features. I look at data on my AMD 64 3000 1.8G, and it takes about a minute to generate a waterfall plot. On the notebook I use to do measurements, it took probably 10 minutes. Just to give you an idea.
Old 8th April 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks soongsc, I'm getting ready to press the button on an order. I have a desktop dynop pragram I use for crunching engine specs and its a cpu killer. I'm sure the waterfall plots are a real number chruncher also. So no low end CPUs and lots of speed. Better rethink here.

Any one else out there have some comparisons?

Hide this!Advertise here!