Soundeasy PC requirements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Couple of quick questions. I recently purchased Soundeasy and it arrived yesterday and I’m anxious to use it. I’m working 7-12s for the next couple months so I won’t have a lot of time to play, but once this is over I want to be 100% ready.

I purchased an Emu 0404 sound card for measurements, I’m hoping it will work well, but I need to upgrade my PC. The Emu needs a minimum of 1.2 Ghz machine and the Soundeasy needs a 1.7Ghz, my shop PC is an older socket A AMD 900Mhz. So I need to upgrade my shop PC.

I haven’t built a machine since the shop PC, about five years ago, so I’m out of date on processors and motherboards. For some background, there are 4 desktops and two laptops in my house. The ones in the house are newer and faster, pre packaged machines.

So what I want to build is a dedicated machine for Soundeasy and music and I don’t want to spend a fortune nor do I want to buy another pre packaged machine that has tons of useless software on it. So can anyone tell me what kind of machine they are running with Soundeasy and how they like the results or direct me to a good combo for a machine. I’m leaning towards another AMD setup, Asus K8V-X SE Socket 754 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athon 64 3300+ 2.40GHz CPU. Any thoughts, is this more than I need?

You will probably need that fastest you think you can affort when you start generating plots and using the design features. I look at data on my AMD 64 3000 1.8G, and it takes about a minute to generate a waterfall plot. On the notebook I use to do measurements, it took probably 10 minutes. Just to give you an idea.

Thanks soongsc, I'm getting ready to press the button on an order. I have a desktop dynop pragram I use for crunching engine specs and its a cpu killer. I'm sure the waterfall plots are a real number chruncher also. So no low end CPUs and lots of speed. Better rethink here.

Any one else out there have some comparisons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.