Protecting good drivers outdoors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a BBQ without music on the weekend, and thought it’d be great to have good speakers outside. I could watch movies outdoors in summer with them. And I wouldn’t need to blast the inside system to hear it outside.

I have some good quality drivers surplus. (I got them at very good prices, otherwise might not consider this) Aurum Cantus ribbons, PHL mids and Peerless XLS bass.

With just a modest powered amp, it’d be much more fun than selling them. And close range, the ribbons would be handy for wide horizontal distribution.

I know there are marine speakers and garden speakers, but hey I want quality sounds . .

The PHL specs say “Environmental conditions: Outdoor” (whatever that means); and their cones are “cellulose fiber cone impregnated and front-coated with damped resins, with fabric dome and damped surround”.
The Peerless are SBR rubber surrounds “wide operating temperature, low creep and long term reliability” & fibre composite cone – “blend of Nomex, Kevlar and glass fibres bonded with polymers”.

I’d put them under a 3 m (10 foot) awning, well away from rain. Outside temperatures over the year here can be 3 – 40 degrees C (winter nights - summer heatwave) ie 37 – 104 degrees F. Humidity is moderate in summer and medium in winter.

Someone living nearby has cheaper speakers outside, a similar spot, and after 7+ years, only the cabinets have deteriorated.

Crazy? Cool?
Any tips to protect them?
eg I will use sealed enclosures to keep moisture out of the crossover and back of the drivers.
I was thinking of some sort of covers, tightly sealing over the drivers.
Would polythene over the grilles kill the treble?
Would joints be better made with certain timber cuts or type of glue?

Or as (weight to be seen, but) the total volume will only be about 30 litres (due to low Qts drivers) build outer boxes for them; or ~ less preferred~ only bring them out when being used?

Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
As you're sheltered from rain, I'd have thought you just need a bug cover when not in use. How about using a fabric grill, with a clip on hard front cover for when not in use. Outdoors, I'd build from ply, they'll also take the knocks better. You should also try to keep them from direct sunlight, as that kills almost as quickly as rain.

Al

A clip on hard front cover for when not in use – agreed.

> build from ply, they'll also take the knocks better.

Fair enough.

> try to keep them from direct sunlight, as that kills almost as quickly as rain.

Luckily this is on the shady side of the building.

> I'd have thought you just need a bug cover when not in use.

So seasonal humidity or temp range should not be a problem?

Cheers

You could still make them ported. Have a cover that seals them up completely when not in use - not a grille but a hardcover with an airtight seal - it could attach with wing nuts. You could have under that a standard grille that will give it some basic level of protection - UV protection for drivers, protection from cricket balls, etc. This could be fixed or removeable.

Done like this they only need to withstand outdoor conditions when they actually in use.

My outdoor speakers are only rough and ready, but they've survived several UK winters.
The drivers are tied inside heavy polythene bags, and are mounted in metal cabinets (actually large biscuit tins with perforated metal grilles). The bags don't affect the sound as much as you might think.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are drivers meant for high humidity such as these. I had mine outside for a year with no ill effects. Our temperature ranges from -5 to 30.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-425&DID=7

If you already have the drivers then just go ahead and make them. you're not losing anything are you? If you have extras, you can renew as necessary.

Ported or sealed is not likely to make any difference as you won't be able to keep the moisture out by plugging a port. A bug cover is probably a good idea. Painting the inside of the cabinet even better.

Not so sure how the ribbons will work outdoors. They seem a little sensitive to inclement conditions.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Your main enemy is sand, grit, dirt, dust, pollen, and whatever else the wind carries in your area. Then mix that with dew. Why don't you leave a clean teacup (or car) on your patio's intended location and see what builds up after a month? I think you'll find it very dirty. Too dirty to leave a loudspeaker outside. And what about bugs and animals nesting and nibbling on them? Why not just take them outside and hang them up for those special occasions? Or make an air-tight cover for them? Sorry to rain on your BBQ.

Tosh
Good point!

Another idea, maybe in conjunction with take them outside and hang them up for those special occasions, for the tweeter:

Fostex FT17H
98 dB
5- 50 kHz
$39(?) at Madisound

If I want to move them I’ll have to keep the woofer not too big or heavy.

Let the rain of evils advocates continue . .

Aurum Cantus said re their ribbon:

“If the Aluminum tweeter is used for the outdoors, the windproof fabric must be added on the front plate of the tweeter because the strong wind outdoors would damage the ribbon.

The change of the temperate and the humanity ;) has no apparent effect to the ribbon, that is, the tweeter would work well under the climate condition that you mentioned.”

A better Fostex option is probably the 100HT, whcih comes with a small horn, can be crossed a little lower, 3 db more sensitive and higher power handling. US$ 37.60
www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3D%&pid=1698

I'm going to keep an eye on this, as I was just about to research the same thing.

But as an interim measure I'm going to mount speaker connectors on the back of the house, and just move my sppeakers outside and plug in with banana plugs when music is required, but eventually build some speakers and mount on the external wall.

Maybe making the box's horizontal with a front hard cover flap that's waterproof when shut, and opens up locks open with hinged strut as a shield from light rain/evening moisture...?

ie:

external%20speaker.JPG

What about using car speakers - those things are designed to handle harsh weather conditions - especially sun.

i have just built up a "boombox" using a car radio and car speakers - including a 12 " sub. it has more than enough power for a BBQ and sounds really good indoors or outdoors. but i don't leave it outside so i haven't made a cover for it.

I do like the hinged cover tho - 2 wingnuts at the bottom will keep it tightly sealed (or even a clip that they use on toolboxes etc...)

just don't mount them too high - you dont want to have to climb ladders to close them at the end of a good BBQ :whazzat:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
There are a couple of problems with using good quality audiophile drivers outside, and it's more about party guests and critters.
It is fairly important to protect the drivers from drunks and cats/rats and indian myna birds, but sin damage is the biggest threat.
Question is how long do you want these boxes to last.
My party system is bi-amped, I never got around to painting the midrange boxes, and even without protection of that sort they are now 8 years old and sounding good, all I do is throw a bag over the top to keep most of the rain off them. The system lives permanently on the verandha of the music room

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I know you have said you want quality from your system, si did i , but I quickly came to realise that my guests wanted clarity but more importantly the need was for quantity ie; noise.
Volume is more important than SQ, so I haven't upgraded my system, I am happy with what my party guests have been satisfied with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25510659@N07/2431709093/?rotated=1&cb=1208815258140

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25510659@N07/2431708545/

I hope it comes together for you, I would only say that Bi-amping is the way to go for party systems, stereo is wasted as people move around all the time, use a stereo amp but set it at mono
Regars Ted

Moondog55 said:
it's more about party guests and critters.
It is fairly important to protect the drivers from drunks and cats/rats and indian myna birds, but sin damage is the biggest threat.

hehehe I have that problem Inside the house, so the only problem I have is the overnight weather.

I'm starting to gear towards some Galv box's (but not pretty haning on the wall), but they would be perfect when shut, as they are designed for protecting your 'gear' on a tray of a ute.
open them up and the lid will protect the driver from the sun, closed - fully sealed.
Where I will be putting them will get the full brunt of the southerly weather (most rain/storms come from this side), but will be protected by the house from the sun (which is east to west, and almost never touches that wall of the house.

My only other concern is the lack of sun causing mold/moisture build up, as I regularly spray mold suppresent on this side of the house (well, about once every 2 years).
but being sealed when not used might be ok.
Think I'll get a couple of box's and work out what drivers I can put in them :)

I guess it can be front ported, then it will be sealed when I close the lid.

couple of 2way car speakers would be the go...

Anyone know of any reasonably high db 2way car speakes for reasonable cost in AU? :)

Sorry but I seem to be ranting in your thread rick57, admins, please feel free to split my rantings off to another thread, as I'm going to build these as soon as I finish coating/stabalizing my Fonken MkII's for the workshop.

[edit] I wonder if I can just mount the speakers in the wall cavity, but facing out?... (external wall is hardiplank), but right below my 1.4 year old's bedroom, so maybe not a good idea...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.