recommended kits for $1000? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2006, 07:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default recommended kits for $1000?

Hi

I have some really solid floorstander cabinets I would like to refit.

Can you suggest some high quality 2-way kits that run about $1000 USD for the drivers and crossovers? I know enough to know I don't want to try designing crossovers.

I am looking for something that is very accurate for mainly 2 channel stereo. They will do some duty as home theatre speakers with a sub (for HT only) but my primary concern is "audiophile" 2 channel.

The listening space is not going to be more than 200 square feet.

I hope that is enough detail to get some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 5th April 2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

If you are willing to wire the crossovers it gives you a lot more choices.
There are lots of proven designs if you are willing to do this, less if you want them already made...

Can you calculate the internal volume of the cabinets?
That would help us determine what designs would be most appropriate. Of course the volume can be reduced by adding bracing (or bricks!) but it would be best to take advantage of what volume you had..

A photo would be fun...
Old 5th April 2006, 07:16 PM   #3
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any kit you choose must be designed around the same baffle dimensions as the cabinets you have, without those its difficult to suggest one. It would also be good to have the internal volume, or at least the full dimensions of your box.

Also, how will you 'refit' them? Do you have a router and circle cutting jig to cut new driver holes/rebates? Are you going to do a totally new front baffle?
Old 5th April 2006, 07:51 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Check out the series of kit offerings by one of the advertisers on this forum - RAW Acoustics - great kits for HT, using the CSS FR or WR125 and Aurum Cantus drivers. The HT2 is a great value at $600 CDN, and shipping won't even cost you much.

If your HT rig has proper bass management and a decent powered sub you should be able to keep the extreme bottom end from the CSS drivers (even multiple drivers won't solve that issue)

Give Al a call, if you haven't had an opportunity to hear these, I'm sure he'd be happy to arrange a demo at your convenience.

http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrn...erieskits.html

Hide this!Advertise here!