Ouch! $100.00 for brass mounting hardware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are tons of details. Please feel free to not bother reading this.

It's a semi Pipedreams clone. There are 16 4" mid woofers and 50 1" tweeters in a 6 ft tall two piece cabinet. The top and bottom cabinets are mirror images: three feet tall with 8 4" drivers and 25 tweeters each (3 cu ft). Left and Right are mirror images. The cabinet construction is: 12" sonotubes that are damped with 8 layers of Dynamat. I’m using 1.5” thick 15”square Midnight black Corian for the bases and the top of the upper cabinet. I’m using green Corian for the top of the bottom cabinet and the bottom of the upper cabinet (so where the two cabinets meet in the middle there will be a line of green going around the speaker. The baffle is a 10" wide sandwich of - 3/4" Baltic birch plywood (inside the tube) -sono-tube – the 8 layers of dynamat (on the outside of the tube) - and 3/4" Oak (outside the tube). All brass hardware and a black leather gasket are used for driver mounting. The 4" drivers are offset to the inside. The cabs are stuffed with Natural cotton fiber batting. The drivers are wired series/parallel with Teflon covered .9999 silver wire. The cones and baskets have 4 coats of Dammar lacquer, the baskets and the magnets are also damped with mortite. The cones have black foam tape attached to the seam between the cone and surround and in three places on the cone in a spiral. The binding lugs are bypassed on each driver. The dust caps have been removed and 5/8" W x 1" L solid copper phase plugs have been added. The round main part of the cabinets is finished in wavy Cherry veneer. The front is left the natural oak. The feet are 3” round ¾” high brass discs sandwiched between 3/4 oak discs. The speakers stand on 18” square 3” thick concrete blocks which are in sand beds. The two subs are 4’ tall 12” sonotubes finished as above on top of two isobaric 12” (looking for suggestions here HSU??? maybe?) drivers mounted in a Corian covered Baltic birch plywood box. I can’t imagine anyone reading all this...but you did ask.
Best Regards
Tom

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tom1356 said:
The two subs are 4’ tall 12” sonotubes finished as above on top of two isobaric 12” (looking for suggestions here HSU??? maybe?) drivers mounted in a Corian covered Baltic birch plywood box.

You are trying to fit woofers to a box, not the other way round?

I get the impression the buget is not small, perhaps some lambdas?

I can’t imagine anyone reading all this...but you did ask.

I did...

The dammar on the baskets can't do much? Paper cone mids?

dave

Dave,
This was conceived as a low budget line array and has quickly gotten out of hand. The final drivers i'm using will be the TB W4-616S 4" fullrange crossing over to a 60" ribbon. The stand ins for construction, for now, are the PE 269-469 4" fullrange, and the apex jr tweeter. When you have the Dammar out the seam between the magnet and the basket looks like it needs a little something. It may not do anything but...

I'm going to build two sets of 300b Billies and a pair of 6dj8 active crossovers. I'm open to ideas on the subs.

Rodd,
It's a walk-in closet thankfully!

I really am very open to a new sub design. Within reason.
Can I post some pictures here?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tom1356 said:
This was conceived as a low budget line array and has quickly gotten out of hand. The final drivers i'm using will be the TB W4-616S 4" fullrange crossing over to a 60" ribbon. The stand ins for construction, for now, are the PE 269-469 4" fullrange, and the apex jr tweeter. When you have the Dammar out the seam between the magnet and the basket looks like it needs a little something. It may not do anything but...

It will be interesting how the ApexJr does with that many... i'm quite familiar with them.

I'm going to build two sets of 300b Billies and a pair of 6dj8 active crossovers. I'm open to ideas on the subs.

I've heard good things about the Billies. Can you tell us anything about the XO?

I really am very open to a new sub design. Within reason.

Out of the many many 12" out there, i chose the Lambda/Stryke SAE1024. I have a pr going into a push-push sealed sub. I have all the bits ready to assemble. This with replace my single Shiva sub.

Can I post some pictures here?

Certainly. Either link to pics you already have out in webspace, or attach a file from your harddrive.

dave

Here are some pics.
Is there a way to post more than one pic at a time?
* Warning very poor artist rendering follows.

Attachments

• mvc-844s.jpg
    mvc-844s.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,011
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.