improving bass response - yamaha speakers s115ivs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had fair to poor bass response from my yamaha s115iv cabinets... i know when they are raised on stands, efficiency is obviously lost... but i always expected better response.... I primarily run acoustic guitar and vocals through them... vocals always are great.... but getting that sweet 82hz low E and 98 hz G on my acoustic is difficult... especially when the volume is up... it REALLY gets diminished.

in fact, in certain rooms... there are frequency holes at around 100hz... whats the deal with that?

If I replaced the woofers with "extended Xmax woofers" for longer excursion.... and higher power handling... all other thiele's being relatively similar... will my bass response improve... or is it a better bet to purchase Birch wood cabinets as opposed to these cheap particle board yamahas i have... in other words... is it the BOX, or the WOOFER? I know bothe are important... but i really dont want to drop a grand on new boxes if i could just load better drivers!!!

any one with good knowledge, I ask your help!

thanks!!!

You can't fight the physics with Xmax. Speaker/room interaction is your concern ;) . Try googling room reflections, standing waves, bass traps, speaker placement, room treatment. Get some software to help you place your speakers and yourself. In the meantime, try pushing them into the corners just a little, to see what it will do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.