Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

ARTA
ARTA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2018, 12:35 PM   #601
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
vacuphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seaside
Simon, good approach! Any suggestions as to the step down transformer?
__________________
All atoms to the right!
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 01:17 PM   #602
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member
 
mbrennwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sottomano View Post
Thank you for the quick and well-founded answer....allowing me to save some money
Well, so I have to search for something different as measurement microphone...

Btw, I have a MCE-2000 capsule in my junk box (I believe it is equivalent to Panasonic WM-60) and a suitable preamp/phantom power circuit, but have no idea how to calibrate...
My experience is that the "calibration" you get with such "cheap" microphones is not great. I have a "cheap" Beyerdynamic measurement microphone that came with specific calibration data. When I compared this to other more expensive microphones I found that the Beyerdynamic calibration data was not good, so I sent it to an external lab for proper calibration (not as cheap as you'd like it to be). I could have had this much easier by paying slightly more for a properly calibrated microphone.

That said, I guess that most applications do not need a calibrated microphone to get you there. The variations you see during developing or repairing a speaker are usually much larger than the difference between the calibrated vs. uncalibrated microphone (except maybe at the exteme ends of the spectrum). I would recommend you to go ahead with your existing Panasonic capsule (mine was surprisingly flat before I broke it). If you think you need something better for your speaker projects, you can uprade later.
__________________
[ audioroot.net | hifibau.ch ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 01:49 PM   #603
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
DBMandrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Simon, good approach! Any suggestions as to the step down transformer?
See my post earlier in this thread:

ARTA

The input input side of the transformer (going to the crossover/speaker) has a 1.3k impedance and the output side (going to the sound card line level input) an impedance of 30 ohms, so a 43 to 1 impedance ratio.

As I use the balanced line level input on my Behringer UMC204HD I have the shield can of the transformer connected to the ground pin on the XLR and the 30 ohm secondary pins connected to signal +/- which are floating with respect to earth. To avoid confusion, the photo was taken back when I was using an unbalanced sound card input, which is why you only see two wires.

The 1.3k input side of the transformer can be connected to balanced or unbalanced signals as it is fully floating.
__________________
- Simon
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 03:48 PM   #604
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
[....]I would recommend you to go ahead with your existing Panasonic capsule (mine was surprisingly flat before I broke it). If you think you need something better for your speaker projects, you can uprade later.
Thanks for the advise. Will start with that now and upgrade later, or maybe I'll find someone who does calibration service.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 06:03 AM   #605
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member
 
mbrennwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sottomano View Post
Thanks for the advise. Will start with that now and upgrade later, or maybe I'll find someone who does calibration service.
I used to do this: Dienstleistungen | HiFi-Bau Brennwald (sorry, it's in German. Google Translate may help.)
__________________
[ audioroot.net | hifibau.ch ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 06:19 AM   #606
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
I used to do this: Dienstleistungen | HiFi-Bau Brennwald (sorry, it's in German. Google Translate may help.)
German no problem, and thanks for pointing me to this. Looks good and reasonably priced. Will have to build the capsule with circuit into a mechanically sound enclosure before though.

Btw, DeepL is running circles around Google wrt translation German-English....

Sorry for OT, and thanks to all helping me out with my first steps in the acoustic measurement field. All I did up to now was electrical...
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 06:29 AM   #607
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
vacuphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seaside
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
See my post earlier in this thread:

ARTA

The input input side of the transformer (going to the crossover/speaker) has a 1.3k impedance and the output side (going to the sound card line level input) an impedance of 30 ohms, so a 43 to 1 impedance ratio.

As I use the balanced line level input on my Behringer UMC204HD I have the shield can of the transformer connected to the ground pin on the XLR and the 30 ohm secondary pins connected to signal +/- which are floating with respect to earth. To avoid confusion, the photo was taken back when I was using an unbalanced sound card input, which is why you only see two wires.

The 1.3k input side of the transformer can be connected to balanced or unbalanced signals as it is fully floating.
Thanks Simon, but this link does not seem to refer to the relevant post; I'll figure it out using the search function.
__________________
All atoms to the right!
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 07:35 AM   #608
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
DBMandrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Link works for me. Post 572 in this thread.
__________________
- Simon
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 07:40 AM   #609
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kuopio
Links including page number are "personal" because each user can specify page length and message order in settings. Linking with page number should be prevented by forum software, imo.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


ARTAHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arta box. miklos Equipment & Tools 2 19th September 2014 07:27 PM
Help with Arta- HOLMImpulse viki_v2 Software Tools 2 12th September 2012 02:04 AM
arta vs cliowin ermes Multi-Way 0 4th March 2011 02:37 PM
ARTA - using ARTA to measure room acoustics! OMF Software Tools 0 25th November 2009 01:55 PM
ARTA help Cousin Billy Multi-Way 2 13th February 2009 12:16 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki