ARTA

The Farina response/distortion and the burst-decay additions look like great new features!

And I like that you guys placed a section in the manual comparing burst-decay and CSD. Informative.

I think Arta is the the best acoustic measurement software in its class and beyond. The key is that you guys have managed to maintain a logical, well-designed interface while keeping the product full-featured. Judging from my experience with other products, this apparently is not an easy task.

Been trying ARTA now and I like it a lot.. except I can't use it with 24bit reolution. I have a Echoaudio Audiofrie4 that I use for music and measurement and I have no problem using 24bit with RMAA or other programs.

Any idea what the problem can be?

Sure for measuring speakers 16bit is plenty but I want to use it for electronic works as well.

/Peter

Hi All --

I'm the process of putting together the ARTA measuring box as documented in AP1 , and I have a question about the value for R5 the series resistor between mic preamp 'out' and soundcard 'in'.

What if you don't know the output impedence for your mic preamp? I'm using a Rolls MP13, but output impedence isn't specified (at least to my eyes) and emails to the co. have been unanswered.

Any thoughts on my best course of action? Thanks for the help.

Regards,
John

nullspace said:
I have a question about the value for R5 the series resistor between mic preamp 'out' and soundcard 'in'.

For amost all practical purposes, you can safely omit the R5 resistor (it is only intended for very precise calibration), or you can use any value between .5 to 1K. The resistor will allow the zeners to do their job if you should accidentally connect a high level signal to the input.

SveinB.

I need this!

I have to borrow a friends LMS when I want to do real measurements other than my old Behringer spectrum analyzer - it's clearly not close to this software!

I see what I need except my mike is a Behringer - will that work or do I need to get something else? Most sound cards seem to have mini plugs for the mike

If it's any help, I'm getting the Behringer ECM8000 microphone. By the number of mentions in these here parts it's generally well-received and fairly inexpensive to boot.

Certainly you can run your mic into your soundcard, but it will limit you to single-channel mode. What exactly the limitations are of that, I couldn't say. My soundcard doesn't have a mic input, so I'm getting an external mic preamp which will also let me do testing in dual channel mode.

Regards,
John

BTW, for some closure on my question, Rolls just got back to me. Output impedence is 100ohms for both balanced and unbalanced outs.

Hello
I’m having problem with LIPM. (ver 1.4.1)
I’m trying to measure full range speaker (70Hz-15kHz) impedance using LIMP and my laptop, computer has on board Conexant AC-Link sound card, I am using head phone output and mic input for jig connecting. Jig uses 100,4 ohm/0,5W metal film reference resistor (measured). Calibration seem to be ok with (Seq length 32768, Fs 48000 Hz, Channel dif 0.03 dB) no matter what type of method is used (SIN or Pink PN) impedance graph looks odd. (Please have a look attached print screen) I was trying to change laptop with Vinyl AC’97 Audio sound card but graph looks similar..
I was trying several setup configurations during measurement but unfortunately none of measurements does look like standard impedance graph..
Where is the problem ??

Regards,
Artur

Attachments

• limp.jpg
    limp.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,443
FEATURE WHISHES

Hi Heinrich,

I have some question/ whishes for ARTA.
I use this software now since 1 year and find it very good!
I just bought a mic calibrator (pistofon) and when I make calibration (estimate mic sens) then with the new SPL measurement tool I get calibrated results, but NOT with FR1/FR2/IMP... DO you know where the problem can be?

Another thing is in LIMP the method for getting TS parameters.
There are two common methods the delta mass and the closed box method.
But there is a third one, which I think would be great to implement. This is the so called "known SPL" method.
So if you know the sensitivity of your speaker (You can measure in ARTA) then it is enough to measure it's impedance without box or added mass...

Also I have the question regarding Application Nr7.
The useage of the laser makes it possible to measure Xcursion. Is it possible to measure Xcursion and amplitude response at the same time in ARTA (with a quick sine sweep)

Do you know, what that type of laser costs?

Thanks very mutch,

Tamas Tako

cypher said:
:xeye:
Good point, but how to check that to have 100% sure??

Easy. Use a stereo 1/8" cable and connect the output to the input. In Arta go to record an impulse and hit generate. Now use your volume control to slide the balance to the left and right. If both input channels remain at the same level, you have a mono input. I've tested an IMB Thinkpad T42 and Dell 600m like this, both were mono.

Dan