Volt BM 2500.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TOO MUCH.

Hi,

Look at the specs for your speaker:

BASS MIDRANGE LOUDSPEAKER 250mm (10")
Bass Midrange in Studio Monitors

FEATURES: The BM2500.4 uses a massive magnet with a symmetrical field, extended pole and long voice coil for maximum linearity. The cone, linen surround and dome are critically matched and doped to ensure very low midband colouration. The result is analytical sound quality with a stunning dynamic range. The BM2500.4 is designed for use in two way nearfield studio monitors where accuracy and realism are essential.

Not being an expert on subwoofers common sense tells me this speaker is not ideally suited for the task:

Nominal Diameter
mm

Power Capacity
watts

Sensitivity
dB/watt/m

Frequency Range
25-2500
Hz

Impedance
8/16
ohms

Bl Factor
N/A

Voice Coil Diameter
mm

Voice Coil Material
Copper

Maximum Excursion
mm (before damage)

Magnet Assembly Weight
Kg

Effective Moving Mass
Kg

Compliance
M/N

Volume displaced by unit
litres

Connection

Metal push terminals

Chassis
Painted diecast aluminium

My feeling is you're going to pay a substantial amount of money for a well extended woofer and throw away a lot of that bandwidth in the process.

Many alternatives exist but it's hard to recommend anything at this point.

Cheers,;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: TOO MUCH.

I think Frank is making the right call on this. It is an extended range woofer, not a subwoofer. I am sure it is excellent for what it is designed for, which is to extnd up to a tweeter and still move a fair amount of air.

But for subwoofer duty, i bet any number of the dozen or so mid-priced and very competitive 12" would handily outperform it for a fraction of the price. And if you wanted to spend the same price...

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Adam said:
Ok, so what driver would U use?
I live in Poland so some of american drivers are unavailable here.

I believe that better value can be had if you can minimize the shipping you have to pay so i'd rule out the yankee drivers.

The Peerless 10 & 12" XLS come highly recommended.

But i also wonder if there are any sleepers made locally or close-by (former Soviet Union) that would be worthwhile pursuing?

And i always like to use subs in pairs if i can (push-push is a cheap trick to get better performance.)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Adam said:
Isn't this config called Isobaric??

Not usually. It is possible to make a push-push isobarik but really gets convoluted.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Both drivers face the outside world and are in phase but are mounted such that the reactionary forces are cancelled, dramatically reducing the load on the box and improving the micro-dyanamics.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.