Delay - echo through BL and FL horns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2006, 07:36 AM   #1
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Delay - echo through BL and FL horns

Still trying to sort out whether to build some other type of cabinet or horns. My understanding through older literature is that if the horn path differnence through say a low and a mid leads to a delay of over two milliseconds between the two then it is hearable, I don't know if this only applies to large halls or would be detectable in average living rooms. Does anybody have any experience to clarify this?
Looking forward to any replies.
jamikl
Old 2nd April 2006, 05:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

2ms in the bass range is trivial!

All speakers will have group delay which is effectively a delay with respect to frequency. What is audible depends very much on frequency but 2ms in a BLH is nothing to worry about.
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:35 AM   #3
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

You might think it makes a difference, you could sit and calculate that it would, you could read about it, but amazingly when done well, a BLH sounds great.

More effort should be put toward rolling off the horn to avoid mid nulls, and room integration IMO.
Old 3rd April 2006, 03:41 AM   #4
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies paulspencer and Indm. I agree Indm. They can sound very good indeed. It was easier before we had the simulations I think. I have done several on BLHs that I know sound good but the sims never look good!!!! Makes me wonder if we are barking up the wrong tree as to what contributes to good sound. Must be a lot more yet to be understood!
jamikl
Old 3rd April 2006, 06:52 AM   #5
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

A lot more to be learned indeed (or did we always know it?).

I recently lead lined my cabinets only to find I miss the vibrations! The sound is more accurate but more, ummm, boring

I know it will be better in the end though, I'll just have to wade through my coupling cap and valve collection first. Where does it end?

Hide this!Advertise here!