Delay - echo through BL and FL horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still trying to sort out whether to build some other type of cabinet or horns. My understanding through older literature is that if the horn path differnence through say a low and a mid leads to a delay of over two milliseconds between the two then it is hearable, I don't know if this only applies to large halls or would be detectable in average living rooms. Does anybody have any experience to clarify this?
Looking forward to any replies.
jamikl

You might think it makes a difference, you could sit and calculate that it would, you could read about it, but amazingly when done well, a BLH sounds great.

More effort should be put toward rolling off the horn to avoid mid nulls, and room integration IMO.

Thanks for the replies paulspencer and Indm. I agree Indm. They can sound very good indeed. It was easier before we had the simulations I think. I have done several on BLHs that I know sound good but the sims never look good!!!! Makes me wonder if we are barking up the wrong tree as to what contributes to good sound. Must be a lot more yet to be understood!
jamikl

A lot more to be learned indeed (or did we always know it?). :confused:

I recently lead lined my cabinets only to find I miss the vibrations! The sound is more accurate but more, ummm, boring :xeye:

I know it will be better in the end though, I'll just have to wade through my coupling cap and valve collection first. Where does it end?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.