Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Restoring B&W 2200

This may well be a lost cause, but ...

Having given me many years of pleasure (I bought them in a dutch auction 10 years ago for the equivalent of USD100!) there are now problems.

The 2200 has dual bass/mid drivers, one of which is "scraping", ie the voice coil is touching the magnet causing a rasping sound.

At first I thought it was gravity ( it gets to us at my age ) but turning the driver through 180deg did not help.

I can fell the effect by carefully pushing the driver in at four points with my fingers. The other three do not do this.

The surrounds are not foam and look to be very good.

B&W in the UK emailed to say that these are 20 year old devices and the only info they could send me was a .pdf of the crossover pcb layout!

Worth saving? Scapping? What would you do?
Old 31st March 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default How does one correct **** typing here?

"I can fell the effect by carefully pushing the driver in at four points with my fingers. The other three do not do this."

I mean the other three DRIVERS not FINGERS ! Sorry
Old 31st March 2006, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The driver is "off centre", it's a common failure mode for speakers.

It's disappointing that a major top class manufacturer like B&W can't help, even though it is fairly old.

However, you might try Wilmslow Audio, certainly in the past they were excellent at providing replacement drivers for high quality speakers. They helped me out many years ago at work with some FAR older B&W speakers - they belonged to a local doctor, and while he was on holiday his son had a party, and blew the bass units in both speakers!.
Old 31st March 2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I ones mailed B&W for woofers of Active 1's. They still had replacements. I own old 802's and was able to buy original woofers a few years ago.
I could ask if you like. But be prepared to pay a lot of money if they still have them.

/Hugo
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I did email B&W and the XO layout was the only info they had.

I have since taken it apart. Not so impressed: Chipboard (a lower desity than mdf) particle board, no bracing and a rather feeble looking XO board and connectors.

You can see from the photo that the chassis cut-outs on the drivers is going to make finding a replacement rather difficult

Realising that these speakers have had only a few hours use in the last 3 years (it is on my second system: Yamaha receiver and TV) I have taken the "rasping" driver out and put it on the bench.

Maybe the driver has stiffened up from lack of use? Anyway, I am feeding it with 15volts of 20Hz - 1Khz swept tone and we will see if it has losened up tomorrow!

Both 8" drivers are the same, ome covering "low bass" the other "middle bass".

I have drawn out the XO in case anyone is interested. (How can I get more than one picture in a post ??:
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is the Crossover.

I have been out of electronics for 10 years (I have been doing IT networks, to put bread on the table) and do not have any current versions of schematic layout or simulator, hence the scruffy drawing.

Does anyone have the time and inclination to do a plot on this schematic? I hope this is not bad forum etiquette, but I am new around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xoschematic.jpg (47.7 KB, 473 views)
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I seem to have missed out the picture!

I wish my fingers would follow my thoughts ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b&wdm2200.jpg (85.3 KB, 491 views)
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mschwilson
Smile DM 220

Hi.
If it helps at all,I have done work on these units in the past with excellent results.
I had the same problem with mine,as well as two of the units being blown,and ended up removing the cones from the cage altogether,repairing the breaks in the coil,cleaning the coils,and re-centering them back in the cage.
I had them for ages after that and they remained working well long after I sold them.
If you have no luck obtaining a direct replacement,then give me an email and I may be able to run you through it,or I may be persuaded to do it for you.
Cheers,
Simon.
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DM 220

Quote:
Originally posted by mschwilson
Hi.
If it helps at all,I have done work on these units in the past with excellent results.
I had the same problem with mine,as well as two of the units being blown,and ended up removing the cones from the cage altogether,repairing the breaks in the coil,cleaning the coils,and re-centering them back in the cage.
I had them for ages after that and they remained working well long after I sold them.
If you have no luck obtaining a direct replacement,then give me an email and I may be able to run you through it,or I may be persuaded to do it for you.
Cheers,
Simon.
A very civil gesture - I'll keep in touch!

(I don't quite know why I lie the DM220s so much - I mostly prefer them to my DM603 S3s!)
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Are you sure that circuit diagram is right?
There is a capacitor in series with the bass/mid drivers !!

Hide this!Advertise here!