Jack Hammer subwoofers for High-end home audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys ,
I have a question can MTX audio Jack hammer 22 inch subwoofer be used as a high-end subwoofer for krell FPB amps.
I want to use it for High-End home purpose.
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm.
I see that these subwoofers are about 369 pounds per driver.
JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 369 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight.

Carbon fiber and glass fiber dust cap with aluminum honeycomb center

Expanded polypropylene cone with mica filler for reduced mass and increased stiffness

FEA designed progressive roll spider with 10 AWG integrated tinsel leads woven in to allow for 2.5” of linear cone movement one way .That is 5" Xmax

900 ounce strontium ferrite magnet with extended magnetic field gap technology and aluminum shorting ring

6.5” voice coil with a flat wound, long-excursion design incorporating 2.5” of x-max and 17 AWG high temperature aluminum wire

Aluminum heatsink to maintain the optimum voice-coil temperature

6,000 RMS, 12,000 peak music power .

I was wondering to construct the best available subwoofer.So if you guys have any suggestions.Please let me know

That's just plain silly. I wonder if we would be energy self sufficient here in North America if the same amount of R&D money and effort went into trying to develop a practical home power reactor (non nuclear of course!) than items like this? I wonder if NASA engineers have looked at this device powered perhaps by a modified sawtooth wave as a propulsion system for the proposed Mars mission? :D

Cemmany, I have no doubt that this woofer, given 10 kW give or take, would be capable of reducing any high end home system to rubble if efficiently coupled to a massive horn for best power transfer. You could really enjoy the movie "Earthquake" with life threatening reality....once.

Looks like it would be pretty happy in an infinite baffle (Qts = .53). If I got the modeling right, 2500 watts would be good for 118 dB @ 80 Hz, -3 dB @ 22 Hz, -10 dB @ 10 Hz, no bottoming out even at 5 Hz. :bigeyes:

I haven't figured out how to get the forklift into the house to move it into position. I suppose some fooundation reinforcement would be a good idea, too!

And this thing is marketed as an AUTOMOTIVE subwoofer! At 369 pounds it would bottom out the suspensions on a lot of cars, not to mention the permanent decrease in fuel economy. You wouldn't want to put it in anything less stout than a Hummer, and even then it would probably rattle the vehicle, AND driver, to pieces (where the heck would you PUT the thing anyway?).

Seriously, for "high end" home audio this is probably the most inappropriate application I can think of - it simply isn't necessary for high fidelity and realism - unless you live in a castle. Save your money, your electric bill, and your marriage (tongue-in-cheek there), and get a "normal" sub that will seamlessly blend with the rest of your system. Besides, for high fidelity, you should be more concerned with how the driver measures than how (ridiculously) big it is.

cemmany said:
JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it.

cemmany,

Do you sell these? Otherwise I'd stay away

These drivers are only for people who are interested in showing off how much money they've got. I mean, the dirvers measurements aren't even consistent. Check Vas/Mms/Cms/Rms - the Mms/Cms/Rms are indicative of a driver with a Vas of 10,000 litres, not 239 litres as mentioned.

I can't be sure of any modelling I do, as my software says that the moving part should weigh about 55kg, not 1.4 as indicated on the spec sheet.

There's lots of other stuff out there that's much cheaper, so you can really move some air by using 4 or even 8 of them.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
cemmany said:
Hi Guys ,
I have a question can MTX audio Jack hammer 22 inch subwoofer be used as a high-end subwoofer for krell FPB amps.
I want to use it for High-End home purpose.
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm.
I see that these subwoofers are about 369 pounds per driver.
JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 369 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight.

Cemmany,

Are you a psycho or something?

You've posted exactly same thing in three different threads:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=882615#post882615

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76857

And this one.

Shinobiwan,
He's quite new to this forum so you could forgive him for his impetuousity or plain ignorance of the forum rules.
Just a mention would have been enough instead of psycho-analysis.

He's got different responses on the three different threads though!

Forgive him his trespasses; definitely not psycho or something.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
francis varkey said:
Shinobiwan,
He's quite new to this forum so you could forgive him for his impetuousity or plain ignorance of the forum rules.
Just a mention would have been enough instead of psycho-analysis.

He's got different responses on the three different threads though!

Forgive him his trespasses; definitely not psycho or something.

OK it did sound a bit harsh but he's done the same thing before though.

I guess its third time lucky.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Shinobiwan must be an ignorant psycho

cemmany said:
Hey Shinobiwan,
It proves your pathetic ignorance that a subject can be refered to relevant topics.Eventhough of its repetitions.And if you dont understand the simple fact maybe u gotta be the characted you mentioned

Like I said before - sorry.

The word 'psycho' gets over used on my part and I tend to find myself calling friends the very same thing. It was meant to be light hearted but I just forgot that it is actually a pretty strong word.

I still stand by my objection to you filling the forum up with duplicate posts. I think you have your answer on this one too: the sub is a waste of money for home audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.