Looking for a good quality DIY design...Please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I am new to this forum and I am very glad that I found it.

I have decided that I would like to build a pair of speakers(or more). A video shielded speaker would be prefered but not required. I was wondering if there are any favorite designs that are very popular and fairly inexpensive.

I have great woodworking skill and have built many, many subwoofer enclosure so I have capability of moderate/advanced cabinet designs.

I desire a full range speaker that has excellent imaging, with a light, airy sound...but not thin. Stong, pronounced bass, with a nuetral, full bodied midrange.

Any info inluding links, specs, designs, or parts list would be great.

Thanks in advance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
philcav7 said:
I desire a full range speaker that has excellent imaging, with a light, airy sound...but not thin. Stong, pronounced bass, with a nuetral, full bodied midrange.

Any idea on budget... there are a lot of good choices that would help narrow it down.

The BD-Pipes cover your bases except for the deep bass -- but that is the job of the active sub. These scale price wise depending on the version of FE103 you use.

dave

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

I am sorry, I did forget to mention the rest of the system. Most likely I will have a DIY tube amp (one in the sub $1000US range) or lower priced amp such as Parasound, B&K, Krell, and others.

I listen to a variety of rock, pop, blues, jazz on CD...no vinyl.

I will have the speakers in a mid sized room about 8ft listening distance.

My budget is up in the air at this point but I would like to keep it in the $600-$800 range for speakers and components(not including cabinets)

What about DIY designs using Seas drivers, I am not familiar with them but I hear that they are great speakers. How do they compare to the Scan Speak? Also, any comments on the Adire Audio KIT281, They are a great speaker for HT but how are they for music?+

Thanks again.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
philcav7 said:
My budget is up in the air at this point but I would like to keep it in the $600-$800 range for speakers and components(not including cabinets)

I'd approach this as a powered sub (a pr preferred) + mini-monitors/satellites.

Has a lot of advantages, flexibility being the key one.

1/ to get the best bass the speakers usually need to be in a different place than for best imaging.
2/ the bottom & the top can be upgraded independently
3/ you are bi-amping right off the bat.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
philcav7 said:
I have plenty of experience with subwoofer design.

I had noted that from a previous post you made.

Not having to worry about the bottom makes it a lot easier to do the rest. A smaller driver tends to cover the midrange better and since it is also more extended at the top you can push the XO frequency to the tweeter up higher making the job of the XO easier (my BD-Pipes XO at 10k, just a simple cap).

Here is a more convential DIY design that would go nice with sub(s). http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/ls35aclone.html

And there are MANY more. Shall i go on...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.