A reason NOT to DIY..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i go for DIY because is not possible to receive via USPS some of the products that are discussed here.

and an single driver is possible to purchase it.

HEre in argentina prices are really high on commercial stuff is not possible to purchase an good speaker like b&w, here for example an B&W DM603 cost 1700USD :(

I am neither a constant practitioner nor particularly good at this and only build when the old set truly needs replacing. But I built my first speakers about 45 years ago. They sounded much better than anything I could have purchased for the same price. Over time I have noticed that it is ever more difficult to accomplish this. In fact I think the only justification for building one’s own speakers today is because one wants the experience of doing it. Personally I can’t think of any better justification for doing anything.

Just to share, here are some old pics of the uber rare car audio set that I had.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ScottG said:
I was waiting for this to show-up on Stereophile's website:

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

At this price for this quality you start to SERIOUSLY run-into "diminishing returns".

I'm not saying you couldn't DIY better for less.. but I am saying that it would likely be difficult to do so considering sound quality and finish work. (..and in most cases it would likely be different - not necesarily better.)

It's certainly no substitute for building loudspeakers as a hobby - BUT there are plenty of people posting and browsing here that just want really good sound for not an outrageous sum of money.. so IMO this is it. REAL VALUE.

Very sweet pricing for a lot of speaker.
I think one have to ask... how they manage to do it with this pricing? Well, I am quite sure the driver manufacturer have inflated the price of driver to DIY market to protect their OEM customer. Is this taking a toll on the number of DIY speaker... I think so but don't have the number to prove it.

Agreed, I am friends with the owners of two speaker build houses. If you guys only knew the actual cost of building most any speaker you would fall off your chair *LOL* Mark up is usually around 75-85% more than the actual cost to build the driver parts wise. Somtimes even more. Of course this does not cover R&D, Testing and tooling.

garage1217 said:
Agreed, I am friends with the owners of two speaker build houses. If you guys only knew the actual cost of building most any speaker you would fall off your chair *LOL* Mark up is usually around 75-85% more than the actual cost to build the driver parts wise. Somtimes even more. Of course this does not cover R&D, Testing and tooling.

I don't where your numbers come from, or if this the cost to the distributors, but I've seen many that are marked up 400-500% over cost for the retail market. I would say if you can get drivers that are marked up "ONLY" 75-85% you better buy as many as you can hands on (If, that is, they're any good) as that company may not be in business for long. However, if these are subject to high-volume OEM pricing to a major speaker company then you are probably correct.

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:

I don't where your numbers come from, or if this the cost to the distributors, but I've seen many that are marked up 400-500% over cost for the retail market. I would say if you can get drivers that are marked up "ONLY" 75-85% you better buy as many as you can hands on (If, that is, they're any good) as that company may not be in business for long. However, if these are subject to high-volume OEM pricing to a major speaker company then you are probably correct.

Best Regards,
TerryO

You misunderstood, I meant 75-85% mark up BEFORE the build house sells them to the mass market. From there, the markup can be endless *LOL*

I love diy, specially when it comes to try new things to see how they sound like, my problem, well, it isn't much of a problem, is that i'm working on power amps, and since i feel that i'm still far away from what i want to get i don't want to mess up in another world.

But amps do need speakers, and this thread seems a good starting point for those who like diy but are specialized in other areas.

Will these loudspeakers be a great deal or there is anything better in that price range?

ionomolo said:

The problem is that diy loudspeakers means investing less time in diy amplifiers, and i'm already quite time-starved.

The situation that you mention is shared by most of us. I'm a speaker builder myself, and like 77/110 mentions above, I'm a dedicated DIY Guy. I might have the ideal solution however. There's a kit available that I had a hand in as a DIY-type effort, so you can a bit of both worlds ;)

Try this URL:

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO
BTW: What types of amps have you built?

As mentioned above there are full kits from Madisoound, Parts Express etc. that are designed by professionals like Dr. Joseph DAppolito himself. If one wants to really start from scratch, and doesn't own any tools then that 1,000$ argument has SOME weight-but there are not only full kits, but full enclosures available. Personally I'm using used NHT Super Ones for my HT while I've spent the last few months absorbing everything I can on the DIY front so I can put together bespoke DIY's that will suit not only my room, buit preferences in sound/appearance/musical taste and.... stretch my budget-but the last happens almost every time I want to get something of substance, but much more often than not, these purchases last a very long time, and provide a great deal of satisfaction. If not DIY, buy used from people in your area that will let you audition them in a real room. The mark-up on new speakers is so high as to represent the worst value in audio (with the obvious exception of various snake oil, like special power cords to cover the 6 feet from your amp to the wall).

Possible exception that I haven't heard are the Emotiva because although designed and engineered in the US they are A.) Made in China, and B.) Sold only internet direct. Those are two things I don't like, but in combination, they may well present a good price/performance ration-much as I hate to say it. Emotiva X-Ref XRT-5.2 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Like most new companies, emotiva started as a great value, and as time goes on.....the prices keep creeping up and up.
But comparatively, they are better than most.
As far as the topic of this thread, I don't DIY because of the money I save, I do it because what I want is not available (at least not the way I want it designed)

THE best reason not to DIY

Its addictive.

Soon you could end up like me, 16 drivers sitting around unused and 8 projects planned, designed, and awaiting the day when I finish my degree and get 5 minutes to work on them.

Can commercial stuff sound good at under £1000?

Sure thing. Plenty of time shopping around and auditioning is required though. Some awful cr@p is still sold at all pricepoints, but there are most definately gems out there.

Richer Sounds is my favourite shop ever! those little MS10i for £129!!! BARGAIN (and I sure as hell couldnt beat them pound for pound)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.