Ariel cabinet question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for that .
I found the design of a MLTL on page 5 which sounds like what I'm after.
I have some newbie questions :

Can someone explain why this is a TL ? It looks like a Bass Reflex box to me ?
Will it not behave as a BR box ?
Does stuffing the top half change the behaviour from a BR to TL ?
Doesn't it need an internal *board* to be a TL ?

Ah. That's the MLTL I came up with.

No, no and no to the three questions! ;-)

OK, so that's not too helpful. See www.quarter-wave.com for the theory. Basically, don't mistake the appearance of a box for its function. A 'TL' (rotten name, an electrical term really, but we'll leave that to one side) is designed to use the 1/4 wavelength responance of a cabinet to reinforce the low frequencies. That's it. You can have a wide top, narrow end, a narrow top, wide end, or a completely straight enclosure. Straight ones 9 times out of 10 work better than tapered. The port in the bottom is to provide an additional load on the 1/4 wave resonances generated by the cabinet. It allows a given enclosure size to go much lower than one which simply terminated in free-space, and also damps much of the unwanted higher harmonic resonances generated by the enclosure, which have been a bane of QWRs for decades, allowing much lighter stuffing (a good thing). That's what the stuffing in any QWR should be for: to damp out the higher harmonics that cannot be otherwise engineered out of the enclosure.

Hope that helps a bit
Cheers
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.