Looking for a ~40-300Hz Horn solution with a 15" Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

I want to start a High-End-PA/Hifi Projekt and i want to use a BMS 4550 with the 18Sound XT1086 for HF (should be much better than many Hifi tweeter) In the Midrange a Craaft 8/250 PCD in CB ~5-6liters
Ans in the Bass a Horn...but ican't find a Plan for a Cabinet wich is soundig like Hifi High End and low end 35-40Hz with an relatively linear frequency response up to 300Hz.

Driver should be an 15" maybe a Beyma SM115 K ??? But please not to expensive ;)

The Crossovers should be about 300Hz and 1,2-1,5khz

Active Crossover with an Behringer Ultra Drive

I hope you can help me :angel:

Ciao,David

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi David. Well, I should have read your question a little better!

I'm not familar with any bass horn that will cover that range well, you have to compromise at one end or another. Unfortunately, that is always a problem with deciding which drivers you want to use before you work out the rest of the system. Everything works together, so quite often you need to discard preconceived ideas as the system develops.

I'm not familiar with the mid and high drivers you mention, could you post links?

The Monolith is folded, so probably is not smooth above 200 (?) Hz.

But if you want response down to 40 Hz, and not too large, you will need either a folded horn and/ or corner placement.

Where can it (they) be relative to corners or walls?

How big, is the biggest you can live with?

If size is a problem, Plan B may be run it down to e.g. 60 Hz, and use asubs below that, with high powered amps.

Cheers

I don't want to build a corner Horn a Backloaded Sub (like the Scooper) will be the Best to play up to 300Hz and down to 35-40Hz.

When it is not possible to construct such a Horn that plays up to 300Hz then maybe up to 200Hz ??? And the Craaft driver in a larg CB? (The Craaft should hit >120dB at 200Hz i don'd believe that he would get it...

But i need plans...The Horn Length of the Scooper is too short and the driver too big :xeye:

Maximum Size should be 500litres or 18 feet³

Sizes: 24x39x39" or 60x100x90cm not more than 60-70 cm wide!)

David

Drivers

The HF Driver: http://www.musik-service.de/bms-4550-1-treiber-prx395753766de.aspx

The MF Driver: Craaft 8/250 PCD

Empfehlung 1:
in geschlossenem 4L-Gehäuse
ab 260 Hz (-3dB)

Empfehlung 2:
8L-BR-Gehäuse
mit 1 Stück 15cm HP100
ab 140 Hz (-3dB)

8/250 PCD 209 mm Mitteltöner (AEM-796) EUR 120,00
# Der 209 mm große und 85 mm tiefe Mitteltöner für einen Ausschnitt von 189 mm hat einen sehr linearen Frequenzgang von 200 bis 2000 Hz +/-1,5 dB und ein fantastisches Ausschwingverhalten. Er eignet sich für den Frequenzbereich von 100-7000 Hz. Belastbarkeit (RMS): 250 W
# Impedanz: 8 Ohm
# Resonanzfrequenz fs = 97 Hz
# Gleichstromwiderstand Re = 5,4 Ohm
# Kennschalldruck SPL = 99 dB (1W; 1m)
# Äquivalenzvolumen Vas = 17 Liter
# Freiluftgesamtgüte Qts = 0,31
# max. Auslenkung xmax = +/-2mm

The Craaft is a very good sounding PA Driver which is much better than many Hifi MF drivers (very fast)

The BMS is also a very detailed Driver,better than 18Sound or JBL Drivers.

Hi,
I am not sure you can get three octaves (37.5Hz to 300Hz) out of a straight horn.

I am pretty certain you cannot get three octaves out of a folded or coiled (snail) horn.

If you settle for 2 octaves (37.5Hz to 150Hz) then folding may be possible. Straight is definitely OK.

The labhorn manages 27Hz to 80Hz (1.5 octaves) coiled if stacked or corner loaded but only 35Hz on it's own with floor loading and it is about 500litres.

You have set targets and constraints that may be difficult or impossible to achieve.

Horn experts out there, let's hear from you.

The ab Horn is too expensive and i don't need the spl Levels of the LAB's ;)

The System should do it's Job as a Hifi-System :)

Why is it wirh a Klipsch La Scala opssible to have a bandwidth of >400Hz with the 38cm Driver?

I could build something like the La Scala but taller then i should get more SPL and more depth,or am i wrong?

David :cool:

Greets!

The JBL 2226 and similar spec drivers does 40-300 Hz F6/half space easy in a FLH and can be folded without rolling off its HF BW too much, but can't come close to meeting your unrealististic size constraints.

Note that the bigger the driver, the bigger the horn must be for a given BW/eff., so consider using a smaller driver, or pairs of smaller drivers that are better suited for a compression loaded 300 Hz Fh. It will be longer, but easier to fold up radially without rolling off its HF BW too much, though still considerably larger than 18 ft^3 since the mouth will be huge without any corner loading.

LaScala, VOT, etc., type alignments are non-starters also since there's 'no replacement for displacement' for achieving acoustic efficiency in the LF/midbass.

Bottom line, in 18 ft^3, a TL or MLTL is probably about the best you can do to get ~40 - 300 Hz with any degree of efficiency or smoothness in half space. An unstuffed TL will have the greatest gain, but deep nulls in its harmonics, while the MLTL will trade some of the TL's gain for a smooth response.

GM

Probably i also could use a 12" driver..it's not important that i use a 15" I want to have clean Output of ~125dB in the Bass don't know if this is possible.If it isn't with a large enclosure like the VOT then i have to set the lower end up to abou 50Hz @-3dB

Thank's for he last posts but do you also have plans for such a Bass Enclosure TL, MLTL? Or anything else which has a clean high output in this BW?

David

It need'nt be a Horn in this BW but something like the VOT or a Compound Horn.

I don't believe that the VOT is the Best you can use for this BW.

Okay i know that it's imposible to get 35-40Hz.

What is possible to build when i wan't to build an enclosure with about the same size like the VOT?

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.