First Speaker Project, Dayton 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided to delve into the world of DIY speakers.
And I have a couple of questions for those more knowledgeable than I (that should be most everyone here!)

My main use for these speakers will be Home Theater. My main obstacle is budget (read WAF).
After doing some reading, I have determined that an MTM design would give a good soundstage, decent SPL, and fair efficiency (and I prefer the look as well). I also understand that a sealed enclosure will give better transient response as well.

I found the plans for the Dayton III's at the Parts Express website and thought that these would make a good first project.
These plans call for a ported cabinet. This gives the speakers a -3dB of around 37Hz in a 31 liter enclosure. As I have stated, I would like a sealed cabinet. So I ran the numbers through WinISD and found that if I use the drivers in the Dayton III project in a sealed cabinet, I will get a -3dB at roughly 71Hz in a 15.5 liter enclosure (this gives a Qtc of .707 which I understand is the most appropriate).

Questions:

1) Will I still be able to use the crossover presented in the plans? And if so, how will this affect the frequency response (other than the 71Hz roll off)?

2) Any other input you may have for a neophyte.

Thanks,
Brian

Email WJ direct

The master will give you the same advise others have done this before ,I do think I remember him saying with out any problem.
Get his email off the PE board and Wayne will anwer your question.After all he did the design.

I have built the DIIIs and sold them.
Very good punch for a Dayton driver no question about it
http://www.boomspeed.com/wrnch22/DIII.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/wrnch22/DIIIpile.JPG
But after also building the MB1 in the same week as the DIIIs, the DIIIs went buy, buy.Yes more low end punch out of them yes cheaper to build by about 30.00.But the mids and highs were a lot cleaner and more defined out of the MB1.
And the wife likes the size of the MB1 in our bedroom.
So if yopu want a mid sizes speaker that goes low and a good bang for the buck build the DIII, if you are a more refined mid and high listener the MB1 will win you over.

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.