Opinion on laminating front baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm laminating a 1" followed by a 0.75" as my front baffle for dual 8" driver.

i remember reading couple of speaker designs that having the second one a bit larger in diameter to allow more air movement.

so wat i did was, the 1" has roughly 7.5" diameter while the 0.75" has 8.5" diameter.

after doing it, the second piece (0.75") look weird. i found the diameter to be a bit too big.

i'm wondering if it defeats the purpose of laminating it. The driver now is basically screwed on the 1".

any disadvantage ? any advise ?

Consider using 1" thick marine plywood for the front baffle.

Some of the laminated front baffles leave a few deep "tabs" on the rear baffle for strength beams, and then route the rest of the rear baffle board on an angle to help air flow.

MARINE PLYWOOD
Technical Data

Moisture, % by Mass 5.1

Glue adhesion in dry state
a) Glue shear strength
i. Average, N 2520
ii. Minimum, N 1121
b) Adhesion of plies (by knife test) Passes the Test
Water resistant test (for 72 hours in boiling water)
a) Glue shear strength
i. Average, N 1980
ii. Minimum, N 882
b) Adhesion of plies Passes the Test
Tensile strength, kg/cm2
a) Parallel to grain direction 425
b) Perpendicular to grain direction 282

...more marine materials. You could fill the angle between the different diameter holes with a mixture of epoxy and microballons. (The end result being a very strong angled chamfer.)

Automotive body filler would be stiff enough, but don't know if it would adhere well enough. I simply haven't tried it...but probably okay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.