SW troubles... PIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, getting a little cranky. First off I got SW working months ago(summer) after dealing with the little bugs in the unofficial manual 1.0, fully calibrated and tested several drivers, t/s and imp. and some improperly conducted fr resp. tests.
Then the computer died, lost everything, back to school never touched sw since. Now Im back at it with swm 2.0 and several other websites in conjunction(still ambiguities in swm2.0).
The problem, well first the hardware:
-Audigy 2 ( I actually thought they were good oops)-had this last time it worked fine after finding the right input!
-kenwood vr-7070 receiver- used my technics last time, and again this time still having problem so receiver is not issue.
-have whole new computer, bigger better faster you know the deal. I dont think it matters so I wont spec it out.
-wallin jig II, it worked then, I retested today according to swm2.0 and it passed all tests.
Back to the problem, when I try and set levels with amp on the signal level does not respond to amp volume changes, it did last time. For mixer settings w/master,wave at full and "what you here" at 50% I get the 32768 displayed in the vu meter w/ or w/o the amp on.
I have followed the manual as exactly as possible, though some parts are vague. How can it not respond to amp changes? This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!
Im obviously missing some hidden setting or something else that is simple and stupid.

Any ideas, links to audigy 2 specific posts/websites?
Any diagnostic steps to isolate the problem, my brain is fried at this point.

First off, great work on the manual I probably should not have mentioned it in my post as I was not in the most clear headed mood. In addition I had some weird stuff going on so following your manual step by step exactly was causing me grief. And unfortunately due to aggrivation, I didnt document the steps that were unclear, or that caused me problems so I cant give you specifics, however, when I run out of options and upgrade to 1.06 or 1.6 whatever it is I will recalibrate everything and will pay attention to details.
Most of the stuff I noticed was a single word here and there that would make you question if you missed something, "continuing in loop mode...", but im in impmeas. mode!!!
I will be more specific later.
All in all I think you did a great and thourough job on this manual, It has got to be a daunting task to try and make a step by step for someone who doesn't have a clue where to start and you have done it hundreds of times.

BTW, I dont remember what post im referencing but when you combine all of the chapters into the table of contents the links work.

Oh yeah, I got past the mentioned problems and am now into a real weird one, rather than posting it twice heres the link
http://www.speakerworkshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6205#6205

Thanks, nunayafb. As soon as you can give me specifics, I would be happy to make clarifications. I have picked up a few things and have upgraded a few of the spreadsheets and the Edge. I will likely do one more release before I give up the project. I imagine, though, that I will give it another 6-9 mos for folks to pick up on any final problems.

Please keep me informed,

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,
First off, I want to say thanks, your effort in putting this manual together is really tremendous. I have only read parts of it, but my impression is that it suffers a bit from from being too long and not focused enough.

I think you could have a much shorter manual that would be easier to read and use if you started out focusing on the "what" (how to use the software) and worry about the "why" in appendices or in another "best practices" manual.

Maybe you could make a readers digest version, say:
Chapter on jigs and impedance calibration
Chapter on measuring impedance and T/S
Chapter on microphones and preamps
Chapter on measuring frequency response
Chapter on using the crossover tool.

Maybe leave out all the embedded programs (do you have permission from their authors?) and focus just on SW.

Regards,

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions. I had considered making a "Reader's Digest version" however when I asked for feedback the majority of folks felt that the explanations were helpful and desirable; I frankly, did not/do not have the time to do both. My thinking is that since the Manual is still editable by anyone who has it (it is not locked), people could delete the explanations or move them however they would like. I have no objections as I want it to be individualized to anyone's needs.

Regarding permission for the embedded programs the answer is yes. I beleive that I obtained permission from all authors who were identifiable as authors of embedded programs. A fair number of the spreadsheets are original.

I do appreciate feedback and guidance and I hope that my answer does not suggest otherwise. My time is becoming increasingly limited so anyone else would like to edit the copy down as a Reader's Digest version, I certainly have no objection.

Thanks again,

Jay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.