Best loudspeakers design? Myth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to an engineer at one well known pro manufacturer I talked to, he thinks most individual drivers may well be equipped with chips so that the reponse may be contoured to your needs digitally.

No such critter as the perfect speaker. The odd thing is there were wonderful drivers made in the 30's that still sound better than more modern replacements. Field coils are one example.
With the right desire and dollars, it can be done again. Some work is being done now on such devices by Steve Schell and Rich Drysdale.

Tim

I would agree,part of it is psychological about buying expensive speakers which must be better than cheaper ones.

-The drivers of yesteryear with their warm low order distortions still sound better to our ears,even if they measure worse? In the end its the emotion that counts really...

Objective vs subjective types opinions need to be considered...People expect various things.

454Casull said:

Minimum room interaction? You're looking at an anechoic listening room... Not many people are fond of that experience.

By the way, with Sandia's stress-free amorphous diamond film production process, diamond-like carbon diaphragms may become a reality sometime soon.

No expert on various manufacturing technices but Accuton and now B&W allready use diamond for tweeter domes. At least in the case of Accuton it´s a question of one piece of pure synthetic diamond.

/Peter

454Casull said:
Sandia's process can be scaled up to any thickness, and as large an area as the production vessel. Accuton doesn't even have their 50mm diamond driver out yet, and besides, the stress-free films that Sandia's process creates might very well have better physical properties (seeing as the Accuton diaphragms definitely aren't single-crystal films).

http://www.sandia.gov/media/diamond.htm

Copy from Accuton website;

"Diamonds are a loudspeakers best friend!
Yes, we made the first loudspeaker driver with a membrane of pure diamond. This is not a mere marketing message, we are not talking about diamond-coating or -powder, this is not a diamond look-alike nor something diamond-similar. We are talking about a loudspeaker membrane consisting of a single piece of absolutely pure cristalline diamond and nothing else."

"the carbon atoms in a diamond lattice are packed closer together than any other atoms or molecules in any other material. This makes material bonding stronger than anything else and yields unsurpassed transient response."

From Sandia website;

"The new material enables the creation of thick, stress-free, amorphous diamond coatings, never before successfully achieved. The stress-free coatings are harder than any known coating, except for crystalline diamond."

As you say "diamond-like carbon diaphragms may become a reality sometime soon."... that could be true, but still Accuton and B&W has Pure diamond drivers out on the market NOW. I´m sorry you haven´t been able to find the D50 yet. ;)

The fact is Accuton is the first with diamond drivers and they currently have the biggest driver on the market. Hopefully someone can make this type of drivers at a lower cost in the future.

/Peter

Did I or did I not say 'minimum room interaction'? We are not talking about an anechoic listening environment, but one where the sound goes where it does the most good. To the ear and the rear wall. Why bother to create a loudspeaker that requires you to acoustically treat your room?

jcarr said:
Panasonic did a few all-diamond diaphragm drivers for the Japanese market some years ago - I think it was in the early to middle 1990s.

jonathan carr

Interesting Jonathan. Are you sure they were pure diamond and not a film/layer of diamond ontop of a carrier... like many "ceramic" and "tioxid" tweeters that exists? I know you wrote "all diamond" but I thought I´d ask anyway.

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

Mudge said:
Did I or did I not say 'minimum room interaction'? We are not talking about an anechoic listening environment, but one where the sound goes where it does the most good. To the ear and the rear wall. Why bother to create a loudspeaker that requires you to acoustically treat your room?

What makes you think the sound does good at the rear wall and not on other walls?

I don´t understand your post. Read my post #37 again. The room acoustics and the power response of the speaker depends on what your goal is.

And the answer to the last Q; Becasue sometimes that can give the best results... again depending on what you want to achieve.

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

My apologies Pan, I read your post but didn't really read your post.

I think we may have things backwards though, since we unless you are really close mic'ing someone with a highly directional microphone (and nothing else) you will pick up how the power response of the human voice interacts with the surrounding space.
Whilst I can see how this would work for a speaker with a power response designed to mimic the human vocal aparatus, that's never going to work for far-field microphone techniques.

Of course this is a preference issue, but for me the ideal speaker would somehow combine the positives of headphone listening without the negatives, something that our messy, 'all over the place' dispersion current speakers do not manage.

EDIT: I can think however of examples where different genres of music are mic'd differently, therefore different designs of speaker would suit different setups. Completely electronic music replayed over headphones sounds awful, since there is no ambient acoustic space defined in the recording.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.