software 1/3 octave pink noise generator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anyone know of any software that can create 1/3 octave pink noise tones for speaker frequency SPL testing. I have had a good look around this site & the 'net and can find heaps of sine tone generators but not pink noise software generators. I have Cool Edit 96 that can create pink tones but I can't work out how to do 1/3 octave filtering.

Even downloads of 1/3 octave pink tones would be fine.

Regards,
Dean

Hi GM.

A couple of handy utilities there. I checked out the pink noise function in the generator and it looks like it uses a pre-generated pink noise wav file and you cannot select the frequency band, even when you use the menu to select the centre frequency.

Regards,
Dean

I found this while searching the 'net:
http://www.moshier.net/pink.html

Will generate a WAV file using pink noise band limited to 1/3 octave spread over 30 frequencies. Dump the PCM into cooledit and extract the various frequencies (12 seconds each) into separate WAV files and away I go.

What a difference using these files versus simple sine waves at specific frequencies. The sine waves would have the soundmeter bouncing all over the place depending on location & frequency, yet I get a much more consistent response using the 1/3 octave WAV files and can finally see the response of my speakers.

Regards,
Dean

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Pink noise is for displaying a speaker's response, hence the generator's 20-20 kHz BW, which BTW is centered around 630 Hz (~632.45 Hz actually) and not the 1 kHz checked, so why would you want a 1/3 octave pink tone? I mean the spacing just defines the response resolution.

Anyway, if you can make them in Cool Edit, then you can calc their BW:

Fh = Fl*2^n

Fl = Fh/2^n

where:

Fh = upper frequency
fl = lower frequency, or the XO point in this case
n = octave spread

So if you want to start at 100 Hz, then 1/3 octave on either side is:

Fh = 100*2^1/3 = ~126 Hz

Fl = 100/2^1/3 = ~79.4 Hz

GM

Hi GM,

I have just built a pair of Jordan JXR6 HD monitor speakers and was not happy with the hollow sound. I wanted to frequency equalise the speakers (for BSC & room modes).

After using a graphic equaliser and a sound level meter with the 1/3 pink octave tones over the speaker bandwidth the in room response is much better and the sound is richer now!

Regards,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.